• Are you a Tarantula hobbyist? If so, we invite you to join our community! Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your pets and enclosures and chat with other Tarantula enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Desert Blond not eating...

desert blond enthusiast

3 Year Member
Greetings all! Here's a little update on Lady Reginald Von Bartlebee the A. chalcodes (desert blond T). She's been spending a lot of time outside her burrow and occasionally going back in for brief periods of time(but not sealing it this time). Still no molt yet.... I realized today that it's been well over a month since she's eaten/accepted food. I feed her superworms which she gobbled up readily back when she was quite the eater back in the late summer(September 5th was the last day she ate). She'd eat a full super worm maybe once or even twice a week sometimes. Its now October 25th and she still avoids food when its offered. I know it's not uncommon for G. rosea's to not eat and freak out their owners, but is it normal for my desert blond? She's still quite plump in her abdomen so I'm guessing that means she's healthy? I took a pic of her today and attached it. Thank you in advance for your time and for any advise/words of wisdom.

Attachments

• IMG_1353.JPG
    IMG_1353.JPG
    73.4 KB · Views: 247

timc

3 Year Member
I wouldn't worry too much. She's nice and fat so she might just not be hungry or starting her premolt process. Most of my spiders refuse food for weeks before they finally molt so just provide water and stay patient.

Entity

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
That is a chubby spider. i wouldnt worry about her not eating. mine have gone months without food. she is plenty plump enough. dont start worrying yet.

Roo

3 Year Member
Yea looks pretty huge. Same things goes with snakes, if they don't eat for a while it's not big deal. It's only a big deal if they start dropping weight fast.

MassExodus

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Greetings all! Here's a little update on Lady Reginald Von Bartlebee the A. chalcodes (desert blond T). She's been spending a lot of time outside her burrow and occasionally going back in for brief periods of time(but not sealing it this time). Still no molt yet.... I realized today that it's been well over a month since she's eaten/accepted food. I feed her superworms which she gobbled up readily back when she was quite the eater back in the late summer(September 5th was the last day she ate). She'd eat a full super worm maybe once or even twice a week sometimes. Its now October 25th and she still avoids food when its offered. I know it's not uncommon for G. rosea's to not eat and freak out their owners, but is it normal for my desert blond? She's still quite plump in her abdomen so I'm guessing that means she's healthy? I took a pic of her today and attached it. Thank you in advance for your time and for any advise/words of wisdom.
Do you wrap your crickets in a tortilla? She huge! :) I had to lay off the tacos myself for awhile, is why I ask...lol

desert blond enthusiast

3 Year Member
Thank you @Kymura ! I agree! She's been a perfect, docile, little (and chubby) companion. She helps me teach the kids at the school about tarantulas. Thanks to Reginald, many more students at the school have a great respect for tarantulas.

@MassExodus your comment completely brightened my day!

Thank you to everyone for your helpful input! It has put my mind at ease :T:

Latest posts