• Are you a Tarantula hobbyist? If so, we invite you to join our community! Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your pets and enclosures and chat with other Tarantula enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Deep clean/sterilisation

thirteenthdevil

I've just lost a T to roundworm and would like to sterilise everything that's come into contact with it such as the acrylic enclosure and feeding tongs (will be throwing away all plants, cork bark etc) to make it safe for the next T. How is best to go about it? Would milton sterilising tablets work/are they safe? I feel like mild soapy water isn't enough?

Lentulus

3 Year Member
Sure. But that stuff is just bleach if not mistaken. It would probably save you some coin to just use household bleach. Mix with water 10:1.

thirteenthdevil

Ok, I looked it up. It’s 2% bleach. So my ratio above is a little off.

Sorry for your loss.
Thank you

Unfortunately I had suspected something was wrong as it hadn't eaten, but then when they can go so long without eating it was hard to determine what the problem was and seemed fine in itself other than that until yesterday. I can say though that whilst I'm incredibly sad an animal has lost its life, I have also learnt a lot through it and know what to look out for in the future

Enn49

Staff member
1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Tarantula Club Member
I just use boiling or very near boiling water depending on what material the container is made of.

m0lsx

Staff member
1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Tarantula Club Member
We keep cheap (99p per bottle) sterilising fluid in the kitchen for various cleaning jobs. That is we keep unbranded miltons fluid. So that is what I use when I want to give something a really good clean. BUT I ALWAYS rinse anything tarantula related several times, normally 3 or 4 times at least, in clean water & due to the smell. I then do not reuse it for at least several days afterwards.

I have never had an issue, even when I have cleaned nice pieces of bark, that I could not bring myself to throw away. That is, I have given bark, a not too long soak in weak sterilising fluid, followed by a few soaks in clean water & that after putting them under running clean water.

Also do not underestimate the cleansing power of a microwave on bark etc. If bark is wet, then the RF (Radio Frequency) plus the heating of the water, makes cleansing things like bark, not too difficult. But keep it down to a maximum of 15 seconds bursts, to avoid burning the bark.

However, if you are unsure of anything. Then throw it. Bark is cheap-ish, to replace & certainly not worth keeping at the expense of a tarantula's health. Even something like an enclosure is better to replace & give a longer, better cleanse, than risking a tarantula.

thirteenthdevil

We keep cheap (99p per bottle) sterilising fluid in the kitchen for various cleaning jobs. That is we keep unbranded miltons fluid. So that is what I use when I want to give something a really good clean. BUT I ALWAYS rinse anything tarantula related several times, normally 3 or 4 times at least, in clean water & due to the smell. I then do not reuse it for at least several days afterwards.

I have never had an issue, even when I have cleaned nice pieces of bark, that I could not bring myself to throw away. That is, I have given bark, a not too long soak in weak sterilising fluid, followed by a few soaks in clean water & that after putting them under running clean water.

Also do not underestimate the cleansing power of a microwave on bark etc. If bark is wet, then the RF (Radio Frequency) plus the heating of the water, makes cleansing things like bark, not too difficult. But keep it down to a maximum of 15 seconds bursts, to avoid burning the bark.

However, if you are unsure of anything. Then throw it. Bark is cheap-ish, to replace & certainly not worth keeping at the expense of a tarantula's health. Even something like an enclosure is better to replace & give a longer, better cleanse, than risking a tarantula.
Thank you, I had planned on washing it with mild soapy water after and then giving plenty of good rinses and then probably leaving it upwards of a month before even considering buying anything else to go in it. Luckily the cork bark I had in there isn't anything special so more than happy to throw that as I really don't want to add any unnecessary risk. I'm still in two minds about even keeping the enclosure honestly. You have reminded me though, I did have another piece of decor in a previous enclosure that I will need to clean too!

Latest posts