• Are you a Tarantula hobbyist? If so, we invite you to join our community! Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your pets and enclosures and chat with other Tarantula enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Death curl??

aimeelevitre

I woke up this morning to my tarantula is this strange position. Her eating slowed down, movements were slow and coloring darkened. So I thought it was premoult. However, upon doing some research, I’m worried that she is death curling and not actually mounting. Can someone please help? She is upright, two of her legs are curled under while the others are in odd positions.

aimeelevitre

This is what her position looks like.

Attachments

• IMG_1911.jpeg
    IMG_1911.jpeg
    2 MB · Views: 30
  • IMG_1910.jpeg
    IMG_1910.jpeg
    1.7 MB · Views: 29

fuzzylover

The times I have seen my tarantulas in this position they have been cleaning themselves. If they keep doing this check to see if their fangs are moving around one of their legs.:)

aimeelevitre

She wasn’t moving at all, even after 30 minutes she was in the same position. That’s why I’m worried, so I made this account and post. I’m at work so I won’t know if she’s still in the same position or not until I get home. /:

GarField000

3 Year Member
Just poke it with a brush to see if it reacts.
It's not a normal deathcurl but it could have died anyways.

The smell could be some old food as well.

Teresaisrad

3 Year Member
Tarantula Club Member
Yes, what GarField said, Try stroking it with a brush if you're too scared to handle him.
As for the body (if they passed) You can bury if you'd like but I like to Taxidermy mine to hang on my oddity wall, or in a cloche and they can be with me forever.

Another side note, I would say to try again as soon as your feel ready. If keeping sparks joy for you I would encourage getting a couple of slings (especially with Black Friday deals right now)
Keep raising some T's and engage in this group. We are always happy to support others.

Latest posts