• Are you a Tarantula hobbyist? If so, we invite you to join our community! Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your pets and enclosures and chat with other Tarantula enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Cyriopagopus Lividum Care

Luna

3 Year Member
Hi!

I've noticed after scouring the internet for months on what exactly my Cobalt Blue needs for temp, humidity, and the like; almost every source has some sort of conflicting requirements.

I've bumped into everything from 50% humidity to 100%.
Temperature from a steady 70°F to never let it go below 85-90°F.
Different types of substrates are even all over the place.
The only real guarantee I've bumped into is at least 6 inches of substrate.

So, I'll ask this wonderful forum full of members who have direct experience with thrive instead of survive.

What would you put on a care sheet for keeping an adult Cobalt?

Tortoise Tom

1,000+ Post Club
I've got three slings, and I found the same sort of conflicting info you did. Looking forward to answers from experienced keepers here too.

PanzoN88

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Hi!

I've noticed after scouring the internet for months on what exactly my Cobalt Blue needs for temp, humidity, and the like; almost every source has some sort of conflicting requirements.

I've bumped into everything from 50% humidity to 100%.
Temperature from a steady 70°F to never let it go below 85-90°F.
Different types of substrates are even all over the place.
The only real guarantee I've bumped into is at least 6 inches of substrate.

So, I'll ask this wonderful forum full of members who have direct experience with thrive instead of survive.

What would you put on a care sheet for keeping an adult Cobalt?
Never follow humidity numbers, measuring humidity is very unnecessary wnd inaccurate (no matter how accurate the package says the gauge is, it isn't) as far as any tarantulas are concerned, i don't own this species yet, but i do think they require some moisture, as far as other specifics regarding this species i will summon @KezyGLA for that. Room temperature is good for most, with all of my tarantulas i tend to keep everyone around 75-80 with a space heater over winter. Coco fiber is the safest substrate, though you can use top soil (i couldn't really recommend any brands because i only use coco fiber for all my tarantulas. Never read care sheets, they are very inaccurate.

KezyGLA

3 Year Member
As this is an Asian fossorial species, you will want to give enough substrate depth for the spider to make a suitable burrow. For this species I give 9” of moistened (not wet) topsoil. I never let it dry out by generously overflowing the water dish every week. This keeps that humidity in the soil meaning the spider can construct its burrow to go where the moisture/humidity is when requires it. The have a small tolerance to dry spells but never let the enclosure completely dry out.

As for temperatures, room temps are fine but ideally you want to range the temps from 22-28C.

Tortoise Tom

1,000+ Post Club
My three slings are in lightly damp coco fiber and each of them has made a dirt volcano and burrow to the bottom of their deli cup. My temps range from 78-86 F (25-30 C). I put tiny roaches in and they disappear over night. I hope there is not a colony of little roaches eating a dead spider at the bottom of each cup!

Luna

3 Year Member
Okay. Seems pretty general care, then.

I have my girl in a soil and peat moss mix, with sphagnum moss on top in places. I do keep a gradient across between mid 80's to mid 70's for temp. I'll deepen the soil to the suggested nine and see if she responds to that.

I guess I'd like more information where they hang out in Myanmar.

Valleys or mountians?
Inland or or near the sea?
High altitude or low?

I'd love to know more so we could formulate a very specific humidity and temp.

I'm smelling a tropical vacation for some spider hunting!

Tortoise Tom

1,000+ Post Club
I saw a sign of life! I introduced a pinhead roach to the deli cup last night and when ir got near the top of the volcano, I saw some fuzzy little feet dart out for a millisecond and snatch it into the burrow. If I'd have blinked I would have missed the whole thing.

MassExodus

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
My guess is, wherever the soil is rich and black and easy to burrow in :) I kept my female for many years just like Kezy^ except, I did dry my sub out occasionally, but always kept a large fresh dish of water. She lived happily in her 8" burrow for years, hardly ever seen. Beautiful spiders.

MassExodus

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
One other thing. Don't stress too much on humidity and temp. You'll get a feel for how to keep them right, just through experience and observation. My girl lived at 72 F, just like all my others. And her humidity fluctuated, with drying out periods ocassionally.

Coryc

I have a sling as well. In about 6 inch of soil and coco fiber mixed. She started digging a hole last night so the more substrate the better I can assume to be right.

Latest posts