• Are you a Tarantula hobbyist? If so, we invite you to join our community! Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your pets and enclosures and chat with other Tarantula enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Crooked abdomen after molting

Rosie1

Good afternoon! I have a rose hair tarantula, Rosie, who is at least 10 years old (she was an adult when I got her, and I've had her for 10 years). She's had "normal" molts as long as I've had her. Last night she molted right side up and appeared to have difficulty, although she did compete her molt. Typically she becomes fairly active by the next morning. I'm concerned for a couple reasons. First, her abdomen appears off-center, kind of angled toward one side. With her limited mobility thus far it's a little difficult to tell definitively if she is having trouble ambulating. Second, I've only seen her move about 4 inches, but she appears to be dragging her abdomen. I could be wrong, but she just doesn't seem to look quite right...although I've only been able to gauge from very limited movement. I covered her tank to minimize any stress (we have two obnoxiously loud coonhounds that frequently pass by her enclosure ). Any insight and recommendations are much appreciated. Thanks for being such an amazing resource.

Tarantula Trooper

3 Year Member
Older Ts I believe can experience some molting issues and with her molting right side up ! Only thing I can think to do is keep an eye on her! I have lost a couple T's just after a molt and no visible reason why! Had a Psalmopeous Victori, bout 2 and half DLS , molt and seemed to be OK . Re-housed a few weeks later and she just didn't have that Psalmopeous spunkiness and within 1 days she was gone. Ate one time after molt and before re-house and have no clue what happened! I was gutted! B. Hamorii flipped on back and never flipped back over. Time I intervened she was on her way out and was too late. Casey K, Arachnoclown , and the other long timers may can give better advice but just to keep close watch is best I can do. Best of luck to u both and God bless!!

m0lsx

Staff member
1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Tarantula Club Member
A bad molt can happen from time to time. I have a B hamorii which molted, with two rear legs that look like the toes of Ali Babas shoes. That was two years ago & we assumed she would soon molt again & correct things. She has not & she has adapted to her new legs very well. What looked like a huge disability, has been no disability at all.

In general, if a T has a molt that leaves them with a body that is an issue, nature has made them capable of molting again reasonably quickly & changing it. But they do not always.