• Are you a Tarantula hobbyist? If so, we invite you to join our community! Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your pets and enclosures and chat with other Tarantula enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Could we put together a size guide?

Sycohearted

I am always window shopping for T's and I'm embarrassed to say that when I see "1/2" or any measurement I am absolutely lost. Has anyone ever made a nice, detailed guide on T sizes with photos? Hopefully this doesn't get rude comments but I'm a visual learner.

Arachnoclown

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Tarantula Club Member
I don't know what else anybody could do to better to describe the size. That would be 1/2".
20190606_193401.jpg

MassExodus

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
I am always window shopping for T's and I'm embarrassed to say that when I see "1/2" or any measurement I am absolutely lost. Has anyone ever made a nice, detailed guide on T sizes with photos? Hopefully this doesn't get rude comments but I'm a visual learner.
Anything listed as 1/4" to 2" I consider a sling. 1/4" is tiny, the measurement is dls or diagonal leg span. So a 1/4" sling is the width of your pinky nail from tip of leg to tip of leg, diagonally across the spider. Its body will be much smaller. So at two inches dls, its two inches of leg span, its still a small tarantula. If I understood your question correctly. I remember when I was a noob and all the spiders I ordered were much smaller than I had imagined when they arrived. Used to piss me off to no end ;)

Arachnoclown

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Tarantula Club Member
To take tarantula sizes and take pictures would mean nothing unless you had a ruler in the photograph...

Here's two examples one is 2" the other is 3"...which is which?? Need a ruler in the picture.
I think understanding the measurements of a ruler is the answer not a chart.
20190602_145957.jpg
20190420_172751.jpg

Hemolymph

3 Year Member
Anything listed as 1/4" to 2" I consider a sling. 1/4" is tiny, the measurement is dls or diagonal leg span. So a 1/4" sling is the width of your pinky nail from tip of leg to tip of leg, diagonally across the spider. Its body will be much smaller. So at two inches dls, its two inches of leg span, its still a small tarantula. If I understood your question correctly. I remember when I was a noob and all the spiders I ordered were much smaller than I had imagined when they arrived. Used to piss me off to no end ;)
That is so,so true. I use to hate ordering a 1” sling and receiving a .25” one. That would piss me off. Now I don’t order online anymore, I’ve got to see my purchase.

Tabitha

3 Year Member
I know what you mean, I have to actually look at a ruler before I really feel happy things online, i have this problem too, very much a visual learner.
I use an iPad for all my internet work, I actually bought an adhesive sticker printed with a ruler, I stuck that on one of the margins on the iPad so I always have a guide with me, i can never find Pens or scissors and rulers are no exception so the sticky ruler is always there easily in sight. It’s basic but it works.
But yes, ordering online can be sometimes a disappointment, much nicer to see the T before buying, I recently got a pulchra at “5-6cm dls” which would be true big only if I pressed it between two very heavy weights!

ilovebrachys

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
The reason why women are so bad at parking is that their husbands tell them a certain thing is 6 inches and so they use that as a guide for reversing into spaces.... :D:p:D

Disclaimer 1
I am just having a joke people, no offence intended
Disclaimer 2
I have 12inches but I don't use it as a rule
Disclaimer 3
If you haven't worked it out, Disclaimer 2 was also a joke

Great thread. I remember @Arachnoclown and his direct/to the point reply to a similar thread when somebody asked "how do you measure your Ts?" they got a picture of a ruler. It was funny!
@Phil you always give me a laugh:D:D:p

Latest posts