• Are you a Tarantula hobbyist? If so, we invite you to join our community! Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your pets and enclosures and chat with other Tarantula enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Confused if this one is really an A. avicularia.

Oursapoil

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Tarantula Club Member
Hi Team,

this T was given to me by someone relocating overseas as a big juvenile, labeled as an A. avicularia. She molted twice in our care (the last one 8 days ago) and is getting close to adult size. I am reaching out as I have never notice such a strong blueish coloration on our previous A. avicularia.
Let me know what do you guys think or if you believe this could be a different species.
Thank you.
017AD202-0563-40DD-9098-D4E30CA84E52.jpeg

Oursapoil

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Tarantula Club Member

octanejunkie

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Tarantula Club Member
42 is Morphotype 6, ex Avicularia metallica

The setae in your pic look like glow rods, with metallic tips, so I would concur

sdsnybny

3 Year Member
This is not M6 Avicularia metallica they do not have any red setae. When its freshly molted (about 2 weeks) youll have a better chance of an ID. From what I see I suspect is Avicularia braunshauseni due to the red accent setae on the rear legs and abdomen. Which is M2. Here is pics of my adult female freshly molted A. braunshauseni

Attachments

• 2020-08-11 18.04.21.jpg
    2020-08-11 18.04.21.jpg
    1.4 MB · Views: 21
  • 2021-05-04 14.38.45.jpg
    2021-05-04 14.38.45.jpg
    1.6 MB · Views: 22

Oursapoil

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Tarantula Club Member
I see a resemblance in both of them, she has some red satae but not as munch as the M2, on the other side I find her cephalothorax resembling the M6 a lot more.

Arachnoclown

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Tarantula Club Member
Looks alot like my morph 1 when she was younger. I bet it will darken up in another week or so. Could be a morph 2 also.

Last edited:

Oursapoil

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Tarantula Club Member
Heres my Avicularia braunshauseni "goliath pinktoe". Sorry about the poo on the glass...she likes to aim it at me. She is freshly molted, about 4 days ago. Shes still stretching. View attachment 57198
Beautiful Ts Sir and yes, I imagine an hybrid as she has specific characteristics from both. I am still puzzled on where the blueish coloration of the cephalothorax and front legs comes from. I thought this was due to the fact that she molted recently but as I see yours 4 days after her molt, there is quite a difference.

Arachnoclown

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Tarantula Club Member
Beautiful Ts Sir and yes, I imagine an hybrid as she has specific characteristics from both. I am still puzzled on where the blueish coloration of the cephalothorax and front legs comes from. I thought this was due to the fact that she molted recently but as I see yours 4 days after her molt, there is quite a difference.
The carapace looks alot like a morph 6 to me...everything else looks morph 2 or even 1.
Heres a morph 6 carapace
20210518_082044.jpg

Latest posts