• Are you a Tarantula hobbyist? If so, we invite you to join our community! Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your pets and enclosures and chat with other Tarantula enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Confirm, and confirmed maybe.

Tnoob

5 molts found in the last two days. Pretty sure I'm looking at a female.
20190801_002815.jpg

Tnoob

I can sex it with a better picture showing the ventral area in detail... no offense to your photography skills
Have you tried zooming in? I might be able to get a better picture but my camera is pretty poor. Any suggestions on how to get the picture you need?

nedaK

Have you tried zooming in? I might be able to get a better picture but my camera is pretty poor. Any suggestions on how to get the picture you need?
I zoomed in but the part I need to see is blurry... maybe try putting your camera closer to the abdomen? Making sure it focuses on the underside of the abdomen would help probably...

Tnoob

I zoomed in but the part I need to see is blurry... maybe try putting your camera closer to the abdomen? Making sure it focuses on the underside of the abdomen would help probably...
Is this picture any better? I can't get any closer than this, so I hope it's useable. The only camera I have is on my phone, and you can tell how well that's working.
20190803_175646.jpg

nedaK

Towards where the abdomen connects to the body, there is a little sliver, and if it is crescent shaped, it is female, but if it is straight or seemingly absent, it is more than likely a male.

Tnoob

Kinda like a handbag looking plate or something like that, right? Just without the handles, maybe? Like in between the anterior book lungs and where the abdomen meets the head, right? Just a slight bit closer to where the segments connect. If my description is concrete...

nedaK

Kinda like a handbag looking plate or something like that, right? Just without the handles, maybe? Like in between the anterior book lungs and where the abdomen meets the head, right? Just a slight bit closer to where the segments connect. If my description is concrete...
Exactly.

Jess S

1,000+ Post Club
Just wanted to chime in and say, I'm never going to get good at this! Just when I think I've learnt something new about ventral sexing, I try to apply it to pictures on the gallery and find out I'm still getting it wrong! Aargh, so frustrating!

Tnoob

Just wanted to chime in and say, I'm never going to get good at this! Just when I think I've learnt something new about ventral sexing, I try to apply it to pictures on the gallery and find out I'm still getting it wrong! Aargh, so frustrating!
I said the same thing, ooh, I don't know, roughly four months ago.

Tnoob

Right, then after the plate there's a little foldy thing (looks like the top of your standard envelope but it's soft skin like the in between segments where two pieces of exoskeleton connect) Then the abdomen finishes off just slightly before connecting to the head?

nedaK

Right, then after the plate there's a little foldy thing (looks like the top of your standard envelope but it's soft skin like the in between segments where two pieces of exoskeleton connect) Then the abdomen finishes off just slightly before connecting to the head?
Yes.

Tnoob

@Casey K. Sorry babes, I gave one of those L. P.'s to an arachnaphobe for her daughter's birthday. They both love "Venom", and have been very happy about their new pet.

Tnoob

That container is far too wet and it needs a piece of wood to climb - OBTs are semi-arboreal
Now, we've been over this. I live in a desert climate, and I need to mist the enclosure every once in awhile, or my OBT just scrunches up and doesn't do anything. That includes eating. There's plenty of substrate for it to dig. Which should be good sense OBT's are actually fossorial. Now I'm going to assume that it feels comfortable in it's enclosure because it webs everything up regardless of the time of day, and it doesn't bolt when I do actual enclosure maintenance. She's lived like this for four months now. Appears well adjusted, and seems to enjoy the home. Because it doesn't mind my enclosure maintenance. So, no bolting, threat posture or anything like that. Which is what you want, isn't?

Enn49

Staff member
1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Tarantula Club Member
Now, we've been over this. I live in a desert climate, and I need to mist the enclosure every once in awhile, or my OBT just scrunches up and doesn't do anything. That includes eating. There's plenty of substrate for it to dig. Which should be good sense OBT's are actually fossorial. Now I'm going to assume that it feels comfortable in it's enclosure because it webs everything up regardless of the time of day, and it doesn't bolt when I do actual enclosure maintenance. She's lived like this for four months now. Appears well adjusted, and seems to enjoy the home. Because it doesn't mind my enclosure maintenance. So, no bolting, threat posture or anything like that. Which is what you want, isn't?

Don't patronise me.
I repeat that enclosure is far too wet and OBTs are Semi-arboreal

Latest posts