• Are you a Tarantula hobbyist? If so, we invite you to join our community! Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your pets and enclosures and chat with other Tarantula enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Cleaning glass in an enclosure with a P. Irminia

helenaoskars

Hi! I have two beautiful P. Irminia, and they appear to be doing well. As this forum has given good advice before, and I feel a lot of websites appear outdated, I have two questions:

1) They are fast. Very fast. I mist them every once in a while, and the glass on the inside of the enclose gets spotty. How do you guys clean it without stressing out your T’s too much?

2) At what age are the grown? Mine are about a year, both still black and orange, but one appears quite a bit larger than the other one..

Thank you for all answers! I’ll add a couple of pictures, just to brag. ;-) (The
Darkest one is one molt earlier than the other two.)

Attachments

• IMG_0340.jpeg
    IMG_0340.jpeg
    1.3 MB · Views: 12
  • IMG_0326.jpeg
    IMG_0326.jpeg
    1.4 MB · Views: 12
  • IMG_0238.jpeg
    IMG_0238.jpeg
    268.1 KB · Views: 10

m0lsx

Staff member
1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Tarantula Club Member
Personally, I do not clean my enclosures. Partly because I have no idea of how to do it without harming, stressing or losing my T's. But with some of the slower, more sedate, terrestrials, I will wipe poo off the inside of the enclosure using a damp piece of kitchen roll. But arboreals are a whole different world. Those I would never clean.

Tarantulas grow depending upon food & heat. Not so much age. So the age that a T matures at is going to vary slightly from keeper to keeper. But a female Psalmopoeus irminia will mature at about 2 years & the male will mature at around 1 year. And if male expect 3 maybe 4 years from them. While a female will live to 10 - 12 years.

helenaoskars

Personally, I do not clean my enclosures. Partly because I have no idea of how to do it without harming, stressing or losing my T's. But with some of the slower, more sedate, terrestrials, I will wipe poo off the inside of the enclosure using a damp piece of kitchen roll. But arboreals are a whole different world. Those I would never clean.

Tarantulas grow depending upon food & heat. Not so much age. So the age that a T matures at is going to vary slightly from keeper to keeper. But a female Psalmopoeus irminia will mature at about 2 years & the male will mature at around 1 year. And if male expect 3 maybe 4 years from them. While a female will live to 10 - 12 years.
Another year to see if they are indeed female, and if not they’ll probably change color before that. Thank you.

I wouldn’t clean it either, I just wondered if anyone had a way I didn’t think of. Our water has a lot of lime, so it is starting to turn a little white. I’ll avoid cleaning them unless someone has had an epiphany and found a genius way to do it that still keeps them safe and happy. ;-)

Tarantula Trooper

Cleaning can depend on enclosure type. Exo- Terras you open the door to clean poo. Apple cider vinegar with a little water should do the T no harm and leave streak free glass. I also have a little telescoping squeegee I got off Amazon. I only really clean the Exo's and you have to be real careful and know, somewhat at least, the temperament of the animal! My Acrylics get little cleaning as, well , there's really not enough space without things going wrong. Also, use a razor blade to scrape poo on Exo,s as well. That's my little spiel on cleaning. I good re - house works as well but I keep Psalmo's and that would not be fun to do more than necessary... lol, lol!!

helenaoskars

Cleaning can depend on enclosure type. Exo- Terras you open the door to clean poo. Apple cider vinegar with a little water should do the T no harm and leave streak free glass. I also have a little telescoping squeegee I got off Amazon. I only really clean the Exo's and you have to be real careful and know, somewhat at least, the temperament of the animal! My Acrylics get little cleaning as, well , there's really not enough space without things going wrong. Also, use a razor blade to scrape poo on Exo,s as well. That's my little spiel on cleaning. I good re - house works as well but I keep Psalmo's and that would not be fun to do more than necessary... lol, lol!!
I’m becoming more and more certain that I’ll NOT clean the inside of their enclosure. They are crazy fast, one of them tries to say hi every time I add some water.

Latest posts