• Are you a Tarantula hobbyist? If so, we invite you to join our community! Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your pets and enclosures and chat with other Tarantula enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Cleaning an enclosure - when is the right time? (female GR)

humble_human

3 Year Member
greetings,

it's been approx 17 months since i set up atticus (Grammostola rosea) in her new enclosure where she's gotten busy making tunnels and i wanted advice on when I should clean it out thoroughly. She hasn't molted this year and I don't wanna clean her enclosure if it'll mess with her rhythm. any advice would be appreciated. thanks!

oh she's also approx. 14 years old. :)

Enn49

Staff member
1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Tarantula Club Member
At her age so long as you remove any bolus or uneaten food there is no real reason to disturb her.
G. rosea are unlikely to poo on the sides of their containers but if she does just wipe it off with a damp cloth.
Once Ts are in their final containers then I disturb them as little as possible, no one cleans their homes out in the wild. My L. parahybana has been in her tank for 8 years with only the minimal maintenance.

humble_human

3 Year Member
At her age so long as you remove any bolus or uneaten food there is no real reason to disturb her.
G. rosea are unlikely to poo on the sides of their containers but if she does just wipe it off with a damp cloth.
Once Ts are in their final containers then I disturb them as little as possible, no one cleans their homes out in the wild. My L. parahybana has been in her tank for 8 years with only the minimal maintenance.
i really do appreciate your input and i had the same thoughts about how their habitats are in the wild. hahah she does poop on the sides so good to know. i will clean out the dried up cricket carcasses - i assume i don't need to worry about the ones that are in her death tunnels?

PanzoN88

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
A deep clean is unnecessary. Spot cleaning here and there is fine. If there is a bolus in her burrow, she’ll toss it out eventually. Only remove boluses from the surface.

Enn49

Staff member
1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Tarantula Club Member
The chances are she will clear them out on her own and leave you a little parcel (bolus) on the surface.

birdonfire

3 Year Member
A cleaning and changing of substrate once things look dirty or too settled is my suggestion. May be a couple years or more. Tarantula enclosures are closed systems so it is different compared to out in the wild.

Latest posts