• Are you a Tarantula hobbyist? If so, we invite you to join our community! Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your pets and enclosures and chat with other Tarantula enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Chromatopelma Cyaneopubescens sling questions.

shelbi8119

So I have had my GBB slings for almost 3 weeks now and she seems to be doing fine but I have some questions as far as water/humidity goes. I know they are an Arid species so a water bowl is usually all they need with no damp substrate, but slings require more humidity to help with molts and stuff. So when it comes to the slings *she's a little bigger than my thumbnail* how do you do water? Does she just need a bowl, or do I need to moisten one side of the enclosure as well?

Attachments

• IMG_20220315_150024226~2.jpg
    IMG_20220315_150024226~2.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 23
  • IMG_20220315_150027070~2.jpg
    IMG_20220315_150027070~2.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 24
  • IMG_20220315_150105282~2.jpg
    IMG_20220315_150105282~2.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 22
I give all of my slings at least a moist side since they don't hold hydration as well as adults. I also tend to drop some water droplets near my GBB on their webbing and they just drink directly from that typically. There was a water dish in their enclosure once upon a time, but its buried under webbing and I won't see it again until I rehouse them.

shelbi8119

I give all of my slings at least a moist side since they don't hold hydration as well as adults. I also tend to drop some water droplets near my GBB on their webbing and they just drink directly from that typically. There was a water dish in their enclosure once upon a time, but its buried under webbing and I won't see it again until I rehouse them.
Should I do the moist side opposite of where she's made most of her webbing? It's all to one side and that's where she pretty much stays. And then just drop some on her webbing 1-2 times a week?

Should I do the moist side opposite of where she's made most of her webbing? It's all to one side and that's where she pretty much stays. And then just drop some on her webbing 1-2 times a week?
I'm not sure if it matters which side you do to be honest. My GBB has webbed over the entire enclosure in each of their enclosures eventually, so there's no avoiding moistening a side with webbing in mine. Worst case if its like "ew no thanks I want to chill where it's dry" it'll just move to and web where its dry at instead.

shelbi8119

I'm not sure if it matters which side you do to be honest. My GBB has webbed over the entire enclosure in each of their enclosures eventually, so there's no avoiding moistening a side with webbing in mine. Worst case if its like "ew no thanks I want to chill where it's dry" it'll just move to and web where its dry at instead.
Okay thank you. There's so much to learn with all these little guys.

Arachnoclown

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Tarantula Club Member
Slings don't need humidity to molt. They pump fluid between the new and old exoskeletons to molt. Their diet is more important for molting then humidity. Before you go watering down a corner for your Gbb make sure you have lots of ventilation. Humidity/stagnant air will kill your Gbb if it doesn't have good airflow.

shelbi8119

Slings don't need humidity to molt. They pump fluid between the new and old exoskeletons to molt. Their diet is more important for molting then humidity. Before you go watering down a corner for your Gbb make sure you have lots of ventilation. Humidity/stagnant air will kill your Gbb if it doesn't have good airflow.
Her enclosure they sent with her from FNT has 2 layers of air holes all around the container. I think I'm just going to start dripping a few drops in her webbing every so often. She eats every three to four days so hopefully that will supply enough fluid for her when she does molt.

rapidfire

I hate to admit it but I have made this mistake in the past. Thats why when I say lightly moisten I mean drops not soaking.

mrsoul1974

3 Year Member
I just keep a small plastic bottlecap full of water in all my enclosures. It was really cold this winter in NJ, and I had to keep my heat constantly, which dried out my enclosures a little more than usual, so I did soak a corner in each enclosure this winter, weekly or as needed. I have a GBB, Brazilian Black, Red Rump, Curly-Hair, and 2 Pumpkin Patch, so they all like it pretty dry. Now that spring is here, I don't think I will keep that up, except maybe fot my Red Rump...It always buries its water dish!

BecabooWho

So I have had my GBB slings for almost 3 weeks now and she seems to be doing fine but I have some questions as far as water/humidity goes. I know they are an Arid species so a water bowl is usually all they need with no damp substrate, but slings require more humidity to help with molts and stuff. So when it comes to the slings *she's a little bigger than my thumbnail* how do you do water? Does she just need a bowl, or do I need to moisten one side of the enclosure as well?
Hi! She is a beauty! I don’t have a GBB, but I have an LP sling (named Rice) in a low enclosure. When I feel like the tank is getting too dry, I’ll just be kind of clumsy when filling the water dish, letting a tiny bit spill. Within a day or so I’ll notice a little condensation on the lid or sides & that’s all I do.

Once, Rice was rearranging his substrate and he covered some of the air holes. I left it because I wondered if he did it to increase the moisture. Within about 3 days the tank started growing mold - too much moisture!! Basically I wouldn’t worry about it too much unless your GBB never molts or you start growing mold.

shelbi8119

Hi! She is a beauty! I don’t have a GBB, but I have an LP sling (named Rice) in a low enclosure. When I feel like the tank is getting too dry, I’ll just be kind of clumsy when filling the water dish, letting a tiny bit spill. Within a day or so I’ll notice a little condensation on the lid or sides & that’s all I do.

Once, Rice was rearranging his substrate and he covered some of the air holes. I left it because I wondered if he did it to increase the moisture. Within about 3 days the tank started growing mold - too much moisture!! Basically I wouldn’t worry about it too much unless your GBB never molts or you start growing mold.
Okay, thank you so much.

Latest posts