• Are you a Tarantula hobbyist? If so, we invite you to join our community! Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your pets and enclosures and chat with other Tarantula enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Chromatopelma cyaneopubescens (GBB) Male or Female ?

Jim_in_PA

Trying this again with another molt. Am I getting the correct picture to sex it ?

Attachments

• Gbb.jpg
    Gbb.jpg
    401.1 KB · Views: 90

T-Baby

3 Year Member
You’re getting the right part but 1. it’s too wet. Any sexual parts (female) will essentially be like a flap, if it’s too wet like yours this could get stuck down.
2. It’s too bright. If female the brightness will shine through the spermatheca rather than show it.

Dampen the moult to spread it out, soak any moisture with tissue and leave to dry for an hour or so, then you can look for the ‘flap’ or lack there of to determine sex.

Jim_in_PA

You’re getting the right part but 1. it’s too wet. Any sexual parts (female) will essentially be like a flap, if it’s too wet like yours this could get stuck down.
2. It’s too bright. If female the brightness will shine through the spermatheca rather than show it.

Dampen the moult to spread it out, soak any moisture with tissue and leave to dry for an hour or so, then you can look for the ‘flap’ or lack there of to determine sex.

Aaah shoot. I pitched it already. Here is another pic

Attachments

• GBB #4 molt.jpg
    GBB #4 molt.jpg
    549.3 KB · Views: 59

Jim_in_PA

Well, the molt is upside down what comes to sexing. Hairs should be against the table surface.
But I'd guess male from the second photo due this triangular area
86934928a1.png

So next time I look at a molt, I should put the molt facing down ? Like the tarantula is sitting there normally, instead of on its back ?

Jim_in_PA

You wanna face it to where we can see the "inside" of the exoskeleton. :)

The sex organs are between the book lungs, correct ? Maybe in my pic above the molt got twisted when I was trying to stretch it back out and look at it under the microscope. I really need to get a GOOD MOLT and try this so I can figure out exactly what I am doing/what to look for.

Casey K.

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Tarantula Club Member
The sex organs are between the book lungs, correct ? Maybe in my pic above the molt got twisted when I was trying to stretch it back out and look at it under the microscope. I really need to get a GOOD MOLT and try this so I can figure out exactly what I am doing/what to look for.

It's also easier to sex when the molt dries out. Sometimes, in smaller specimens, the females spermatheca is clear/opaque when wet. They darken when the exoskeleton is dry. :) The side we need to see is the "inside" of the tarantulas skin....not the outside where all the "hair" is.

Latest posts