• Are you a Tarantula hobbyist? If so, we invite you to join our community! Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your pets and enclosures and chat with other Tarantula enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Chilean Rose angry looking at OBT?

sasspants

3 Year Member
Okay this really doesn't make sense, but we moved our OBT's tank next to our Chilean Rose's tank, and since then our Chilean Rose (Manson) presses himself against the side and shows his fangs when our OBT is nearby. Any suggestions?
Our OBT is still small, is he thinking of him as prey?

pokie99

3 Year Member
I don't think he's thinking of it as prey because this is aggressive behavior. I think you should just move him to avoid stress. How big exactly is the murinus?

Last edited:

sasspants

3 Year Member
I moved him away just in case he was stressed. The OBT is about 2 inches in length right now.

pokie99

3 Year Member
Stress can be dangerous. Not to mention that a stressed tarantula is aggressive. When I bought my G. pulchra female, they kept her in bad conditions and she was very aggressive (which is not natural for a pulchra). Now she's the sweetest thing in my collection and never flicks hairs.

sasspants

3 Year Member
We thought he was just being aggressive because he seems constantly hungry, but if he's stressed that's not good :(

pokie99

3 Year Member
Watch how he's behaving now, after you moved him, for several days. If he's calmer, stress was the problem. If he's the same, then he wasn't stressed.

pokie99

3 Year Member
You're welcome.☺ The cause of the stress may be the absence of a hide or loud noise. Look at the topics in the forum and see if you're keeping your T in the right setup. Good luck!

FaaFaa

3 Year Member
We thought he was just being aggressive because he seems constantly hungry, but if he's stressed that's not good :(

Remember that a tarantula is a predator. With that being said, your T may eat just because you have thrown food in there. In the wild they don't have food dropped on their heads every week so they eat what they can find when they can find it. It's the way they are programmed. Just because your T takes the food doesn't mean it is hungry. You only need to feed your T an appropriately sized prey item once a week.

If the T is truly stressed you have a better chance of it NOT eating.

sasspants

3 Year Member
Thanks, that makes sense, I definitely don't want to be over feeding him. I've heard how notorious Chilean roses are for their eating habits.

sasspants

3 Year Member
He's managed to calm down over the past couple of weeks which is good news. Gave him a bigger prey to handle and it seemed to soothe him a little [emoji4]