• Are you a Tarantula hobbyist? If so, we invite you to join our community! Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your pets and enclosures and chat with other Tarantula enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Changing an opinion?

Rs50matt

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
So as Phil now has his share of the Ts I unfortunately had to give up I thought I'd give a little update on the 3 I was able to keep.

Homoeomma Chilesis (I think?)

Anyone that has a sling knows exactly what's happening with this dude. It's a small sling that gets smaller everyday and stays buried. Pretty standard stuff

Eupalaestrus Campestratus

She has either buried herself to molt. Or just hiding up over winter. Not too sure but I am considering getting her a heat mat as I do find it gets abit nippy sometimes. Mum always looks into her enclosure out of curiosity but sees nothing.

Grammostola Pulchra

This is the one that makes me laugh and honestly makes me happy. Only around 2" maybe but is always out and visible. Mums always looking into the enclosure and the other day during a feeding she did start asking a few questions. One of them was "what's that on its head". So I got out my little torch and started explaining stuff. While sitting there in his small hairy blackness my mums words were "he's actually quite cute".

I think she's starting to come around to the idea that they aren't all massive hairy brown spiders that bolt around be aimlessly everywhere and want to attack everything. I've shown her a few different Ts to show the variety available and how pretty some of them are.

Just thought I'd share this story as it backs up my idea that fear is learnt and most of the animals people are petrified of is through lack of knowledge and not actual fear. Who knows :)

Enn49

Staff member
1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Tarantula Club Member
It sounds very hopeful. Tell your Mum that I was into my 60s and had always been terrified of spiders and hated cobwebs when my son decided to buy one. I gave in as long as he kept it fastened in its container. She was kept in the living room and I got more and more fascinated by her until I decided to get my own to see if I could overcome my fear. I'm still not keen on spiders loose in the house but I don't even flinch if a T walks on my hand or runs up my arm.

Rs50matt

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
It sounds very hopeful. Tell your Mum that I was into my 60s and had always been terrified of spiders and hated cobwebs when my son decided to buy one. I gave in as long as he kept it fastened in its container. She was kept in the living room and I got more and more fascinated by her until I decided to get my own to see if I could overcome my fear. I'm still not keen on spiders loose in the house but I don't even flinch if a T walks on my hand or runs up my arm.

That's basically the situation now lol. She doesn't like the enclosure being open (even using a feeding port) but she isn't terrified of them as such. Won't be long till she has a collection as impressive as yours :)

Latest posts