• Are you a Tarantula hobbyist? If so, we invite you to join our community! Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your pets and enclosures and chat with other Tarantula enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Celine keeps climbing

rabbit

3 Year Member
So I bought my rose hair tarantula 2 days ago, and I'm new to being a t owner and I just want the best for her. I've read that if a terrestrial tarantula keeps climbing on the cage walls it means they're unhappy. I was wondering if maybe she is still adapting to the new environment or if I'm doing something wrong. Please help! Thanks!

rabbit

3 Year Member
uploadfromtaptalk1406356991712.jpg

rabbit

3 Year Member
I know in the picture it kind of seems like the cork wood is crushing her but it's behind her.

2G33K4U

3 Year Member
The substrate seems a bit damp is this so? these spiders love dry it is probably trying to get off the dry ground. Secondly the leaning board doesn't give it much of a hide. have any old flower pots? lay one on its side and bury it 3/4 it will allow spider to crawl inside and move things around giving it a true hiding spot.

When the soil dries out it will calm down. it is trying to get to dry ground which is sort of instinctual for this species. Mine does the same thing when substrate is to wet.

rabbit

3 Year Member
Alright thank you so much! It is a bit damp because I just put new substrate in this afternoon, it should dry out shortly! I will look around for a better burrow spot for her as well! :)

2G33K4U

3 Year Member
Your welcome. hard to avoid the dampness when it is new Soil. quick way to dry it is spread it out on newspaper or put it in a large tub and periodically mix it up to expose more surface.

rabbit

3 Year Member
She seems to be much more content, she's now spending more Time on the ground, and she's doing better I believe.
uploadfromtaptalk1406430300401.jpg

rabbit

3 Year Member
Its a broken ipod dock, it was just to keep the lid on tight. My mom is paranoid she'll get out so I put that on top to reassure her.