• Are you a Tarantula hobbyist? If so, we invite you to join our community! Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your pets and enclosures and chat with other Tarantula enthusiasts. Sign up today!

can you tell tye sex by these photos?

Alexander White

3 Year Member
20140720_173425.jpg
20140720_173446.jpg
20140720_173502.jpg

Alexander White

3 Year Member
20140720_212830.jpg
20140720_212845.jpg
20140720_213107.jpg

Can you tell by these photos?

The white stuff are the book lungs right?

How exactly do you tell the sex? you said the spot between the book lungs but what are we looking for exactly?

Tgirl1010

3 Year Member
Okay, I cropped your photo and circled the area you need to look at. A female will have a clear flap, with spermatheca behind it. You should be able to see it at this size, and I don't see anything. It's hard to tell for sure with the picture though.

Attachments

• pulchripes exo.jpg
    pulchripes exo.jpg
    72.3 KB · Views: 12

HungryGhost

3 Year Member
This is what you want to see between the anterior book lungs.
image.jpg

Look at that area with a magnifying glass. I don't see anything in the photos so I have to agree with Tgirl, it looks like a male. I was wrong on the ventral photos. That's why molt sexing is the only way to go to be 100% sure.

Alexander White

3 Year Member
Okay, I cropped your photo and circled the area you need to look at. A female will have a clear flap, with spermatheca behind it. You should be able to see it at this size, and I don't see anything. It's hard to tell for sure with the picture though.
i ended up taping the exuvia to a piece of paper for my collection after taking the photo so im afraid i cant check again to be sure! Okay now i get where im supposed to be looking, thank you for the help! yeah i dont see anything either! might be male after all, i guess time will tell!

Alexander White

3 Year Member
This is what you want to see between the anterior book lungs.View attachment 6105

Look at that area with a magnifying glass. I don't see anything in the photos so I have to agree with Tgirl, it looks like a male. I was wrong on the ventral photos. That's why molt sexing is the only way to go to be 100% sure.
i took a photo of him/her and zoomed up on that area, its not a molt but maybe it might give some insight into the sex, ill post it, by the next molt ill be sure not to tape it for collective purposes until im sure ive gotten a good photo, i was a bit confused about where to look between the book lungs, i get it now, its a really REALLY tiny spot. I dont have a magnifying glass so i take photos and zoom