• Are you a Tarantula hobbyist? If so, we invite you to join our community! Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your pets and enclosures and chat with other Tarantula enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Can anyone ID this?

isoldes11

3 Year Member
I got this spider from an expo, and the guy only had it labeled as "Black velvet." He did say that it's a super vicious spider, very mean, and it's extremely fast. Does anyone know the genus/species so I can house it properly? Thanks!

Attachments

• DSC_0005.JPG
    5.7 MB · Views: 33

MassExodus

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
The common name for the Brachypelma schroederi is "Mexican Black Velvet"...that does not look like any pic of a schroederi I've ever seen, but of course the pics I've seen were all adult females. How large is the spider? A B schroederi shouldn't be vicious, either, though it's not impossible...nor should it be fast..

Nicolas C

3 Year Member
I'd say it's an Haplopelma (new taxonomy but still not validated by the WSC: Cyriopagopus). Probably Haplopelma minax. It's an OW sp. from Thailand, very defensive, and a burrowing sp. It should have at least 15 cm (6 inches) of substrate to dig. Substrate should be kept moist (not damp). Once it'll be settled, you won't see it very often anymore!

Kymura

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Have no clue what it is but I need it! I'd love a collection of the beefy black T's :D