• Are you a Tarantula hobbyist? If so, we invite you to join our community! Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your pets and enclosures and chat with other Tarantula enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Brachypelma hamorii sling

Shannxo

Hi I have a 2cm brachypelma hamorii sling and he's just recently closed off his burrow, I know that this means that you shouldn't disturb them so im just wondering if I should wait to feed him until he comes out or moves the dirt from the entrance?x

DustyD

1,000+ Post Club
Tarantula Club Member
Keep a water dish full for when it gets thirsty. It could be a while. Was it in premolt? Any pictures? Like Lawrence b, I think it probably is going to molt, but then some species do hibernate.

sunset

Sometimes rehousing, travel, shipping can be stressful and new. This can cause a molt. Or it could also just be moving in to it's new digs. They can take a bit of time to adjust. One of my t. Vagans though has always kept a big bulldozer of dirt in it's entrance, it's a juvenile, getting close to sub adult. I've left pre killed food out and it's gone by morning. Today, I fed it and it's burrows still closed off and out of no where as the feeders legs were getting tangled in the dirt webbing, the little bugger sprang from the dirt webbing and snagged the dubia right up. Was really neat to see the whole ambush situation happen. Mine could just be"special" as my other t. Vagans chills out on top , has a burrow for when it wants. basically acts like the regular t should and they came at the same time. Lol I never disturb Thier burrows or try to uncover them. I guess this one just likes to play in the dirt.

Shannxo

Keep a water dish full for when it gets thirsty. It could be a while. Was it in premolt? Any pictures? Like Lawrence b, I think it probably is going to molt, but then some species do hibernate.
Will do, I was thinking that that's why I was a little concerned, urm im not sure but I dont think so, I will post some photos when im back from work, thanks for the help x

Shannxo

Sometimes rehousing, travel, shipping can be stressful and new. This can cause a molt. Or it could also just be moving in to it's new digs. They can take a bit of time to adjust. One of my t. Vagans though has always kept a big bulldozer of dirt in it's entrance, it's a juvenile, getting close to sub adult. I've left pre killed food out and it's gone by morning. Today, I fed it and it's burrows still closed off and out of no where as the feeders legs were getting tangled in the dirt webbing, the little bugger sprang from the dirt webbing and snagged the dubia right up. Was really neat to see the whole ambush situation happen. Mine could just be"special" as my other t. Vagans chills out on top , has a burrow for when it wants. basically acts like the regular t should and they came at the same time. Lol I never disturb Thier burrows or try to uncover them. I guess this one just likes to play in the dirt.
Yeah well if im honest I did have to put him in something a little smaller recently, he wasn't in a large enclosure but it was a little large for a sling because it was what I bought him in, so I moved him to a smaller enclosure hoping he would be more confident and that id maybe see a little more of him cos he is a pet hole atm but idk if thats just because he's a sling, that's how mine is, he always has dirt covering his enclosure, and I dont wanna bother him but I also don't wanna put live food in just incase he is moulting, I think ill have to start pre-killing his tbh, I bet that was so cool to see, I cant wait for mine to grow a bit, hes still tiny! Im so jealous lol, im bought mine because I thought they made good display spiders and was out a lot but again it may just be because hes a sling that i dont see him so much atm, hopefully anyways, he sounds awesome, yeah I think im just gonna wait it out now cos I dont wanna disturb him, will just make sure his water dish is full and leave him something pre-killed, is there anyway to tell if they've eaten when its pre-killed? Thank you so much for all your help x

Shannxo

Will do, I was thinking that that's why I was a little concerned, urm im not sure but I dont think so, I will post some photos when im back from work, thanks for the help x
20220228_173514.jpgsorry this isn't the best photo but this was about a week ago when I rehoused him

Latest posts