• Are you a Tarantula hobbyist? If so, we invite you to join our community! Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your pets and enclosures and chat with other Tarantula enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Bottle top cave for Smithi

FriendOrFood

3 Year Member
Just thought I'd share this with others bc I'm quite happy with it. Appologies if anyone else posted this idea in forums : )

So I wasn't very happy with my suspect male B Smithi and it's preference to live underground and out of sight. So I compromised with him a bit lol. :D

I basically cut the top part off an overpriced Monster energy drink, and used it for a shelter/cave. I cut out an entrance on it for access. However, the first night he had the entrance remodeled with custom web substrating lol. Basically he completely covered the entrance (I'm still not quite sure how he leaves the shelter to get water, but he's def crafty, so I'm not really concerned:).)

Obviously what I like most is just lifting the removable top to check on him, and I feed him in there too. I haven't came across anything else like this, so I thought I'd share it.

Really he doesn't get jittery or stressed when I check on him (opening the top/cap.) He always eats, he even ate a day prior to his molt, which I was a bit surprised.

Attachments

• 20160225_200529.jpg
    20160225_200529.jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 47
  • 20160227_170010.jpg
    20160227_170010.jpg
    1.8 MB · Views: 45
Last edited:

Kymura

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
How did you fix the edges of the can to not be sharp where you cut it?
my son drinks those things all the time, so I'm curious now :p got a lot of smaller guys ^^

FriendOrFood

3 Year Member
How did you fix the edges of the can to not be sharp where you cut it?
my son drinks those things all the time, so I'm curious now :p got a lot of smaller guys ^^
The edges are pretty flexible. I used a pair of small pliers and bent the edges inward. If you cut the top part of the entrance a little longer on the sides it folds easier (hope that makes sense.) The whole thing took less than 10 mins, and gave me a reason to drink an expensive energy drink :)

Last edited:

Latest posts