• Are you a Tarantula hobbyist? If so, we invite you to join our community! Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your pets and enclosures and chat with other Tarantula enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Black Widow Spinning Egg Sac!

menavodi

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Tarantula Club Member
Very nice. Latrodectus is a very interesting species. Do you know if it is a L. hesperus or a mactans? :D

menavodi

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Tarantula Club Member
I'm not nearly well-educated enough to know for sure, but since I'm in Virginia, my best guess is L mactans?
Yes, if she is from your area. L. hesperus live in other parts of the US. Have fun with your babies! :) I did breed them for very many years. A L. menavodi built 20 egg sacks in one year. Every cocoon had about 100 little ones in there.

Arachnoclown

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Tarantula Club Member
One of my favorite spiders to breed.
20180709_193825.jpg

Sarah.Eileen

One of my favorite spiders to breed.View attachment 53979
Awesome! I've never actually kept an egg sac (I usually either bring them to my local pet shop or put it outside). Any advice for handling the egg sac / caring for the babies if I do? Also, how many fertile egg sacs can a female lay without a male? Her first couple definitely had babies in them, but this is like her fourth or fifth.

Arachnoclown

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Tarantula Club Member
As long as she still has sperm she can drop many sacks. I haven't got more then 6 fertile ones in a row yet. They are way too small to separate. I remove the mom and let the slings go at it till I have 5 to 10 big ones left. This method is still probably more successful then in the wild.

menavodi

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Tarantula Club Member
Awesome! I've never actually kept an egg sac (I usually either bring them to my local pet shop or put it outside). Any advice for handling the egg sac / caring for the babies if I do? Also, how many fertile egg sacs can a female lay without a male? Her first couple definitely had babies in them, but this is like her fourth or fifth.
The 20 egg sacks came from one breeding session. All 20 produced about 100 spiderlings. I separate the cocoons and when they hatch, I hang a squeezed cricket in with them. They all eat from it. You can see pretty early which are males or females. :)

menavodi

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Tarantula Club Member
This is how I feed mine a week after they hatch...
1614092459927.jpeg

Latest posts