• Are you a Tarantula hobbyist? If so, we invite you to join our community! Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your pets and enclosures and chat with other Tarantula enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Black soldier fly larvae question

hcampbell

all,

Apologies if this isn't the right place but I can't seem to find an answer and am not sure exactly where to ask. Figured y'all might know. And this may be a dumb question, but‍♀️

I have some small sized BSFL, about 5mm. When they pupate, will the flies also be about the same size? Are the different sizes of larvae just different stages of growth or bred separately for size, I guess is what I'm asking?

hcampbell

all,

Apologies if this isn't the right place but I can't seem to find an answer and am not sure exactly where to ask. Figured y'all might know. And this may be a dumb question, but‍♀️

I have some small sized BSFL, about 5mm. When they pupate, will the flies also be about the same size? Are the different sizes of larvae just different stages of growth or bred separately for size, I guess is what I'm asking?
Hi all*

Also that gender symbol is supposed to be a shrug lol

nellyitchabelly

all,

I raise black soldier flies and usually they don't make real small flies they usually will wait till they get bigger or they don't hatch into flies at all just stay pupa I don't always have a good turnout of flies which I don't understand I have tons of worms but the fly size stays about the same they're usually pretty good size but I feed my spiders all sizes and kinds of black soldier fly larva that's the only thing I do feed. Occasionally I will throw in a blue bottle fly Spike if I can get one but generally it's just Soldier flies that my guys get