• Are you a Tarantula hobbyist? If so, we invite you to join our community! Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your pets and enclosures and chat with other Tarantula enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Best bug to raise?

Laney

I bought a 50 count of mealworms and I apparently have awful luck or did something very wrong since a lot died! I currently only have 1 beetle and a most likely dead pupa.. should I raise dubias, crickets, or stick to mealworms? I have rats and a toad so I'm not worried about having too many bugs that I won't use and I'm most likely getting another T in the near future!

PanzoN88

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
I bought a 50 count of mealworms and I apparently have awful luck or did something very wrong since a lot died! I currently only have 1 beetle and a most likely dead pupa.. should I raise dubias, crickets, or stick to mealworms? I have rats and a toad so I'm not worried about having too many bugs that I won't use and I'm most likely getting another T in the near future!
I would say stick to mealworms.

m0lsx

Staff member
1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Tarantula Club Member
Mealworms will eventually die off, like most things. I find around a month, at most, is the most likely period to keep mealworms. So they are long life compared to crickets.

What are you feeding? Roaches would survive longer & breed if you keep them correctly, but if you are feeding slings, would be much too big. I use mealworms for all of my slings. I behead the mealworm, as like that they cannot burrow & possibly later return as a darkling beetle.

Beheading & then feeding whole mealworms. Make the mealworms soft insides easily accessible to slings & also makes them easy to spot & retrieve. Thus avoiding mold which will sometimes start after as little as 48 hours if dead food is not found & retrieved.

For me, mealworms are easy to get, cheap to buy & long lived. So make the best sling food. At end of life, I pop the mealworm container, into a bag, tie it shut & then put it in the freezer overnight to humanly dispose of any surviving mealworms, beetles, pupae. I have beheaded & fed both pupae & the darkling beetles. But as mealworms are so cheap, I tend to only feed the mealworms. Darkling beetles give off a gas when attacked, so T's tend not to eat live beetles, plus darkling beetles can bite.

Laney

Mealworms will eventually die off, like most things. I find around a month, at most, is the most likely period to keep mealworms. So they are long life compared to crickets.

What are you feeding? Roaches would survive longer & breed if you keep them correctly, but if you are feeding slings, would be much too big. I use mealworms for all of my slings. I behead the mealworm, as like that they cannot burrow & possibly later return as a darkling beetle.

Beheading & then feeding whole mealworms. Make the mealworms soft insides easily accessible to slings & also makes them easy to spot & retrieve. Thus avoiding mold which will sometimes start after as little as 48 hours if dead food is not found & retrieved.

For me, mealworms are easy to get, cheap to buy & long lived. So make the best sling food. At end of life, I pop the mealworm container, into a bag, tie it shut & then put it in the freezer overnight to humanly dispose of any surviving mealworms, beetles, pupae. I have beheaded & fed both pupae & the darkling beetles. But as mealworms are so cheap, I tend to only feed the mealworms. Darkling beetles give off a gas when attacked, so T's tend not to eat live beetles, plus darkling beetles can bite.
I'm feeding a Lasiodora parahybana! She's 3 years old but pretty small, I'm not too worried about beetles since if I'm planning to get more Ts I'll end up breeding mealies for em! Makes it easier since I have 2 rats and a toad I'll be feeding as well