• Are you a Tarantula hobbyist? If so, we invite you to join our community! Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your pets and enclosures and chat with other Tarantula enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Back In The Game =D

Jennifer Waltering

3 Year Member
I'm a former tarantula hobbyist. We had a G. rosea named Amber. An A. avicularia named Pinky (so original, I know lol). An H. lividum who was my husbands (baby), she really didn't have a name but he called her "scary "b" word" lol. A T. blondi named Jasper (my pride and joy). And last but not least 2 little P. murinus who were about 1 inch when we had to get rid of them (oh so sad).
Felt I needed to take a break from having T's when I started having children as my husband was a little nervous they might get out and hurt the babies. Well, that was 8 years ago and I'm ready to start all over again.
So excited to see everyone's collections and start building mine up again. Recently got a new 55 gallon tank and stand set up, and now I am just making sure I have all the equipment BEFORE I start ordering. Happy day everyone

Chubbs

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Welcome back! Glad to see you're being so cautious though. A lot of people don't stop to consider the other people in their household when purchasing tarantulas with medically significant venom. I do have a confirmed female H.maculata I'm looking to get rid of if you're ever interested btw.

Jennifer Waltering

3 Year Member
Welcome back! Glad to see you're being so cautious though. A lot of people don't stop to consider the other people in their household when purchasing tarantulas with medically significant venom. I do have a confirmed female H.maculata I'm looking to get rid of if you're ever interested btw.
I need to do some research on that one. Is she one that will make herself seen? or will she hide quite a bit?

Chubbs

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
They're pretty reclusive, but very beautiful. You say you guys have an H.lividum, so I'm guessing you have experience with old worlds.

Jennifer Waltering

3 Year Member
They're pretty reclusive, but very beautiful. You say you guys have an H.lividum, so I'm guessing you have experience with old worlds.
Yes, we had one. My husband wants to get another one, but I don't think I am ready for a "high maintenance" one right away lol.
I think I want to get one that is at least 2 inches or bigger and doesn't hide all the time. I am not necessarily looking for one I can handle, but one that I will get to enjoy watching. Any suggestions??

Chubbs

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Yes, we had one. My husband wants to get another one, but I don't think I am ready for a "high maintenance" one right away lol.
I think I want to get one that is at least 2 inches or bigger and doesn't hide all the time. I am not necessarily looking for one I can handle, but one that I will get to enjoy watching. Any suggestions??
That's good, no need to go rushing into the deep end.

It depends what you're comfortable with and what your level of experience is. I'm guessing you're wanting to stick with a terrestrial for now, as pretty much all arboreals can be fast to a degree. Even Avics, while not as fast as other arboreal species, can still be quick and can and will jump when spooked. I'd recommend any type of Brachypelma or maybe Aphonopelma. If you want something larger, you could go with an A.geniculata or similar species. Just don't bother them any more than you have to, because they have very bad urticating hairs.

Jennifer Waltering

3 Year Member
That's good, no need to go rushing into the deep end.

It depends what you're comfortable with and what your level of experience is. I'm guessing you're wanting to stick with a terrestrial for now, as pretty much all arboreals can be fast to a degree. Even Avics, while not as fast as other arboreal species, can still be quick and can and will jump when spooked. I'd recommend any type of Brachypelma or maybe Aphonopelma. If you want something larger, you could go with an A.geniculata or similar species. Just don't bother them any more than you have to, because they have very bad urticating hairs.
Ok, I will look around. Thank you so much for the help. Also, what do you know about the website PetCenterUSA? Have you heard about it, or it's reputation?

Therasoid

3 Year Member
Ok, I will look around. Thank you so much for the help. Also, what do you know about the website PetCenterUSA? Have you heard about it, or it's reputation?
I have dealt with Paul on orders in the past. Very knowledgeable guy, always makes his customers happy, one of the best for prices and variety of species for sale. Not to mention has superb packing skills. If you have a problem, Paul will make it right. Just look in the reviews section for other satisfied people.

Jennifer Waltering

3 Year Member
I have dealt with Paul on orders in the past. Very knowledgeable guy, always makes his customers happy, one of the best for prices and variety of species for sale. Not to mention has superb packing skills. If you have a problem, Paul will make it right. Just look in the reviews section for other satisfied people.
Awesome, thank you =D

Latest posts