• Are you a Tarantula hobbyist? If so, we invite you to join our community! Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your pets and enclosures and chat with other Tarantula enthusiasts. Sign up today!

B. Emilia sling question

Ohmu

3 Year Member
Hi, I`m new here and also newbie in tarantulas keeping.
I have a question about my B. Emilia sling. It`s my only and very first tarantula so far, I guess it`s about 3 months age. And the actual question - is it normal that it molts like once per 4 weeks in this age? Even if it`s fed very well, it starts to refuse of food 2 weeks prior molt. Of course, I read that it is very slow growing specie, but I would never imagine that its THAT slow. It is even normal? May be I should change the live food or increase the room temperature?
Thanks.

spidey noob

3 Year Member
hi there,
yes its normal for slings to moult every 4 weeks or so it will slow down as it gets bigger, try to change the food up as mutch as u can variety is the key with feeders, i use locusts/crickets as staple diet & superworms/roches as treats every third week or so.
what temp do u keep for the T room temp is normaly fine for them ?

Ohmu

3 Year Member
Well, ok then. I`m currently feeding it with buffalo worms (actually he prefer fresh pupaes), but I`ll try to change it. Don`t know about crickets, cause I read that its not the best food for Ts, and also hard to keep them for long.
Also didn`t really understand the question about temp, as I`m new in this, I`m not sure about "perfect" temp for my sling, but usually its about 25-27c plus I now have a terrarium heater, so I guess its ok.
Thanks for reply.

spidey noob

3 Year Member
25-27 will fine temp for the T, the buffalo worms are a good food but i would only give them as a treat every 2/3 feed, locusts/crickets are the best food to feed as a staple feeder, then add things like buffalo worms/roches as treats only, as they are very rich food which is not good for the Ts. if we humans eat only rich food we get fat & unhealthy its the same for Ts !!!

P.s this is just my opinion. there will be people who agree & disagree

Ohmu

3 Year Member
25-27 will fine temp for the T, the buffalo worms are a good food but i would only give them as a treat every 2/3 feed, locusts/crickets are the best food to feed as a staple feeder, then add things like buffalo worms/roches as treats only, as they are very rich food which is not good for the Ts. if we humans eat only rich food we get fat & unhealthy its the same for Ts !!!

P.s this is just my opinion. there will be people who agree & disagree
That`s actually makes sense, thanks for advice, I`ll think about it.

Therasoid

3 Year Member
Well, ok then. I`m currently feeding it with buffalo worms (actually he prefer fresh pupaes), but I`ll try to change it. Don`t know about crickets, cause I read that its not the best food for Ts, and also hard to keep them for long.
Also didn`t really understand the question about temp, as I`m new in this, I`m not sure about "perfect" temp for my sling, but usually its about 25-27c plus I now have a terrarium heater, so I guess its ok.
Thanks for reply.
Hello Ohmu
Welcome to the addictive hobby of T keeping.
B. Emilia is a fine 1st T , nice coloration , good eaters and require basic care.
First, I suggest obtaining a copy of The Tarantula Keepers Guide, very informative and and covers NW terrestrial species. Also check www.mikebasictarantula.com, there is a basic care sheet listed for B. Emilia.
Secondly, you have a sling of a slow growing sub family , it takes years to reach adulthood , be patient, it will get bigger, with the proper care.[emoji3]
There is no "perfect" temperature , just a "comfort" range. 27C is fine, promotes activity which causes more frequent feeding and molting. Slings require higher moisture than adult counterparts, meaning a slightly moist substrate and/or a water dish to keep hydrated.
I feed my slings 2-3 times per week, NW are fed crickets until they are near the 2" range, then I offer B. lateralis roaches and superworms for a variety.
Hope this info is helpful for you.
Again, welcome to the hobby and best wishes to you.[emoji4]

Ohmu

3 Year Member
Hello Ohmu
Welcome to the addictive hobby of T keeping.
B. Emilia is a fine 1st T , nice coloration , good eaters and require basic care.
First, I suggest obtaining a copy of The Tarantula Keepers Guide, very informative and and covers NW terrestrial species. Also check www.mikebasictarantula.com, there is a basic care sheet listed for B. Emilia.
Secondly, you have a sling of a slow growing sub family , it takes years to reach adulthood , be patient, it will get bigger, with the proper care.[emoji3]
There is no "perfect" temperature , just a "comfort" range. 27C is fine, promotes activity which causes more frequent feeding and molting. Slings require higher moisture than adult counterparts, meaning a slightly moist substrate and/or a water dish to keep hydrated.
I feed my slings 2-3 times per week, NW are fed crickets until they are near the 2" range, then I offer B. lateralis roaches and superworms for a variety.
Hope this info is helpful for you.
Again, welcome to the hobby and best wishes to you.[emoji4]
Thanks for info :)

Latest posts