• Are you a Tarantula hobbyist? If so, we invite you to join our community! Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your pets and enclosures and chat with other Tarantula enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Avicularia Won’t Eat - Running Away From Food

OculusLondres

I have my avicularia for a about a year now and ‘recently’ she/he stopped eating at all and just running away from food instead of attacking it like it was before.

I am unsure of exact age, I got it adult size already. At first when it stopped eating I noticed a bald spot on its butt (abdomen) and thought it’s going to molt soon. In about 7-10 days from that moment I saw the old body on the side and took it away. Waited about a week like a usually do and offered a food, but it was refused. I gave it another couple days and the same situation is happening T just running away from food and does it very fast.

Before we had something similar but in the end the food was eaten, but it’s been 3 weeks now so I am a little worried for it’s well-being.

I could have just blow a little air and my T was already attacking the spot, that’s how I knew it’s hungry. Now she’s slowly walking away, sometime does it on full speed.

P.S. the bold spot on the butt is still there…!

Should I just wait or cook the cricket soup or wait for another molt? Please advise.

Arachnoclown

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Tarantula Club Member
Photos of this bald spot would be nice to look at. Avics rarely get bald spots, many times it's urticating hairs just like in your profile picture.

Arachnoclown

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Tarantula Club Member
Didn’t they got those, I thought (and read) that they do get bald spots before they molt and this happened couple times with this one.

Give me couple mins, photos are coming!
It's a different layer of urticating hairs that people mistake for a bald spot. They don't kick hairs like terrestrial spiders. They rub their abdomens on the person or thing that is threating them. Many people think this is cute until they start itching. Before molting they may rub a little on their web hammock but not enough to go bald.

OculusLondres

It's a different layer of urticating hairs that people mistake for a bald spot. They don't kick hairs like terrestrial spiders. They rub their abdomens on the person or thing that is threating them. Many people think this is cute until they start itching. Before molting they may rub a little on their web hammock but not enough to go bald.

I never handle them, enjoying from the distance - don’t want to get a bite…or hair :)

Please see the photos:

Attachments

• C0E97EAA-9025-4880-BD42-859C18FCB4FA.jpeg
    C0E97EAA-9025-4880-BD42-859C18FCB4FA.jpeg
    1.4 MB · Views: 34
  • 91A6173C-6A23-4D79-82A8-2B28E69DF0E0.jpeg
    91A6173C-6A23-4D79-82A8-2B28E69DF0E0.jpeg
    1.9 MB · Views: 36
  • A920C2A1-768E-4034-9D23-51977D49570F.jpeg
    A920C2A1-768E-4034-9D23-51977D49570F.jpeg
    1.4 MB · Views: 35
  • 67B2B0C9-E26B-45DE-A53D-C207257998EA.jpeg
    67B2B0C9-E26B-45DE-A53D-C207257998EA.jpeg
    1.1 MB · Views: 34
  • F5238691-369A-4437-96F0-33D70DA3F0D0.jpeg
    F5238691-369A-4437-96F0-33D70DA3F0D0.jpeg
    1.7 MB · Views: 32

OculusLondres

Attempted to feed once again yesterday, I think there was an ‘attack’ but quickly retracted and ran away again.

I will try once again later on today. If not works, I will give her another day to rest and will try again on Monday.

OculusLondres

I find that offering different feeders often gets different responses. Have you tried something other than what you've offered in the past?
Had the same thought - I was offering smallest of the superworms because my usual mealworms weren’t available at that moment, but I got them today, hopefully with a better result.

m0lsx

Staff member
1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Tarantula Club Member
Try different sizes too. My wifes heroic adult female Poecilotheria tigrinawesseli gets frightened by large crickets, so we feed her a few of the smaller standards & she eats just fine. But anything too big & she just stresses.

x_raphael_xx

My avics sling wouldn't take live prey in the beginning, she would just startle and run away. Eventually I got her to scavenge cricket legs.
Shes taking the odd flightless fruitfly now, and about 1cm :D

OculusLondres

My avics sling wouldn't take live prey in the beginning, she would just startle and run away. Eventually I got her to scavenge cricket legs.
Shes taking the odd flightless fruitfly now, and about 1cm :D

I got second tarantula that I got as a baby, it’s about 1 year now and is black already - it attacks flies and whoever I put there even much larger size! It loves to catch flies (the original black flies) and it’s fascinating to watch.

OculusLondres

Had another eating attempt, unfortunately without any luck. Got her (I think it’s her) favorite mealworms that she ate 100% of times, but again she refused.

Here’s the video of an attempt:

It’s been 3 weeks without eating, this situation gets me worried about her. Any suggestions on what else can be tried?

OculusLondres

Drop 3-4 large crickets in the enclosure and walk away

Was hoping for you to comment but didn’t want to tag on the thread - already bothered you with questions so much!

She never ate crickets, though it was my next thought to do. I’ll leave her off for today and will get few crickets for her tomorrow.

octanejunkie

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Tarantula Club Member
A spider that size can go 2-3 weeks between meals no problem

Is the spider drinking water?

Latest posts