• Are you a Tarantula hobbyist? If so, we invite you to join our community! Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your pets and enclosures and chat with other Tarantula enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Avicularia In Premolt made a ball of web. Can it be an egg?

Kicks

So my Avicularia Metallica has webbed itself off from the enclosure. This is my first tarantula and I’m pretty sure it’s premolt however as of yesterday it made a thick ball of web that looks like an egg sac. My T hasn’t been bred with another and this is the only one I own. The pet store told me they suspected it was a boy but “the last molt was inconclusive.” Could this be an egg or is there another explanation for this?

Attachments

• F30744C2-2C7C-4400-946D-1AC8CB81D3F4.jpeg
    F30744C2-2C7C-4400-946D-1AC8CB81D3F4.jpeg
    1.6 MB · Views: 11
  • 24479CB3-52BA-4776-9866-4AE4C9BEC06D.jpeg
    24479CB3-52BA-4776-9866-4AE4C9BEC06D.jpeg
    1.9 MB · Views: 11

Konstantin

3 Year Member
Hi
Its an egg sack.
If it is wild caught or if she has been paired it is possible to be vial sack, if not any of those then is phantom sack and should be removed before it goes bad.
Regards Konstantin

Kicks

Hi
Its an egg sack.
If it is wild caught or if she has been paired it is possible to be vial sack, if not any of those then is phantom sack and should be removed before it goes bad.
Regards Konstantin
Thanks for the response! It was, to my knowledge, captive bred and they weren’t sure of the sex so I’m sure they wouldn’t try pairing it if they didn’t know it’s gender. Do you by any chance know why they make phantom sacs? Also is that common?

Kicks

I've had a couple of Ts make unfertile egg sacs, at least you know it's a female now.
I left the sacs with mine and eventually they abandoned them allowing me to remove them.
Thank you so much! I was really worried about it, that makes me feel a lot better. Once again thanks for the reply