• Are you a Tarantula hobbyist? If so, we invite you to join our community! Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your pets and enclosures and chat with other Tarantula enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Aviculara has a bluing carapace. Type of Avicularia?

DewDrop

3 Year Member
I see the shine on her legs and assume premolt has approached. Her abdomen is pretty full too. Is the blue on her because of age? Can anyone guess an age on her? I assume she is an avicularia avicularia but she is turning bluish. Any info?
101_0912.jpg

Entity

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
looks like and avic avic to me. and there is no way to accurately guess its again. it would just be a flat out guess...so that kinda sucks i know. o_O

Chubbs

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
There are at least a dozen or more Avics that have a blue/blackish coloration to them. It's a bit more evident on a few species, such as A.metallica, but there's just so many that fit that description. Can you get a few more shots of the abdomen? A.avic has reddish hairs on the abdomen.

DewDrop

3 Year Member
she has reddish hair on the abdomen. The general opinion is a. avic. so far. I'll get some more pics here in a little while, I think she is getting ready to molt.

Chubbs

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
It's definitely not A.metallica if it has the reddish hairs, so at least that's one you can cross off the list lol. There are a few Avic species that have a tan/light brown coloration to them, like A.juruensis and A.minatrix. There seem to be more with a blue-green or blackish color to them, which is the more typical look for Avics.

Last edited:

DewDrop

3 Year Member
I agree with you on it being an avic. avic. I am using the cardboard tube roll to illustrate that it is dry, while there is some humidity it is not saturated
101_0922 pic for forum.jpg
. it has been in there long enough for her to web it.

Phil

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Avicularia versicolor sling. Molted on Christmas day (2nd with me). Sooooo cute.
20151228_102148.jpg

Latest posts