• Are you a Tarantula hobbyist? If so, we invite you to join our community! Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your pets and enclosures and chat with other Tarantula enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Avic destroying web

swimbait

3 Year Member
I'm sure you guys have experienced your avics breaking down there webs at one point or another. Just curious if anyone has noticed maybe some pattern along with it. I remember one of mine doing it years ago but I don't remember what he did next. My A. avic I have now has been breaking down all its web the last week, even pulling it of the sides of the walls. I am planning to rehouse after the next molt but I'm wondering if I should just do it now? Opinions?

tcrave

3 Year Member
it may be the web is dirty and they tear them down, or they maybe building a bigger one, i have notices my slings as they grow will make there web tunnels bigger

Poec54

3 Year Member
Now's a perfect time to rehouse. You won't feel guilty for tearing up it's silk home. In my experience, Avics always do better when they've spun a sheet/retreat, so there should be a new one coming, so it might as well build it in the new cage.

swimbait

3 Year Member
Thanks for the responses, I think that's what I am going to do rather than let it re settle in. It hasn't had much of a web for a week and a half just been sitting on what is left of its old web or climbing around the walls.

swimbait

3 Year Member
I was finally able to get the fake plant I wanted to set up the cage( Im extremely busy with school 5 days a week) and finished the new enclosure for my avic. Except now she has begun her new webs and tunnels and I do feel bad for destroying her last couple days work:( Maybe I will just wait until she molts... Do you guys know if any species of spider is able to produce webbing faster? My OBT can accomplish in a night what my avic takes a week to do, recently. Now that I think about it though I have seen avics build quite the structure overnight, maybe its just all about motivation??

swimbait

3 Year Member
Here are some pics of the new enclosure minus substrate obviously 20150125_101347.jpg 20150125_104435.jpg 20150125_104446.jpg 20150125_104500.jpg

Latest posts