• Are you a Tarantula hobbyist? If so, we invite you to join our community! Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your pets and enclosures and chat with other Tarantula enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Are these mites?

LGTARANTULAS

3 Year Member
I found really tiny bugs huddled in groups around the water dish in one of my scorpions enclosure. I looked over at my other enclosures and they're also in my pokies enclosure. I checked the scorpion and tarantulas underneath and all around to see if they're attached to them as that's what mites do from what I know. Though I didn't see one bug on them. They just seem to stay around the humid area.

I really need to find out if they're a danger or not. I don't want to lose anymore tarantulas to an actual possibile fault of mine. I did check my P. Metallica that passed away. I wanted to see if the bugs were the reason for it's death, but it did not having anything on it. If it did, I wouldn't be writing this. I'll add a picture, if someone can identify them and give me advice if I need to actually worry and clean all the enclosures or if it's okay as I'm hoping they'll die out?...

DSC_0327.JPG

Entity

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Are the enclosures kept moist all the time? Do you rotate the moisture? I only ask because they probably are mites, but I am no expert for sure. I also would like to see what people say on this thread for advice.

@MassExodus ...what do u think? u hav helped people out with this before.

KezyGLA

3 Year Member
They may be mites. Cant really tell from that photo.

However, if you want rid then let things dry out completely and they will disappear.

Try keep on top of maintenance (removing bolus/prey), and make sure plenty ventilation and you should be good, it will prevent them coming in future.

LGTARANTULAS

3 Year Member
They may be mites. Cant really tell from that photo.

However, if you want rid then let things dry out completely and they will disappear.

Try keep on top of maintenance (removing bolus/prey), and make sure plenty ventilation and you should be good, it will prevent them coming in future.
I'm very grateful! Thank you.

sdsnybny

3 Year Member
Those are soil mites by the looks of it (very tiny) they perform the same task as springtails and isopods would. They are not a problem unless you see bazillions of them. They will wax and wane with the available food source and moisture. Its very rare to get parasitic mites from hobby bred stock. They come in attached to wild caught occasionally. Parasitic mites are much larger and will attack the joints and mouth areas of the victim.
Good YouTube video showing them on a T
Good thread on how to rid your T of parasitic mites should you ever get them.
http://arachnoboards.com/threads/mites-on-slings.288355/

LGTARANTULAS

3 Year Member
I got to be honest. I'm pissed off that these dirty creatures appeared in the first place. I recently changed the soil of my scorpion's enclosure and having to possibly to do it again because of these pests just.. Urgh. There does seem to be quite a lot of them crawling around in certain areas. I'm letting it dry out right now so they can die... I'll give it this week depending on how many there will be as the days go on. I might just chuck the things right in the bin and completely douse the enclosure in boiling water along with the hides, dish etc like Enn49 recommended me to do.

Last edited:

LGTARANTULAS

3 Year Member
Btw is it wrong that I laughed when I saw my pokie shake it's front leg in a spasm when one of them must of tickled her toe :D

Last edited by a moderator:

MassExodus

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
If you have moist enclosures, you'll get mites occasionally. They're only a problem if theres a bunch. Just dry them out, the spider can go a long time without water. Two or three weeks is ok. Continue to feed the spider, but grab the bolus when its dropped. Mites are there for moisture and boli. I've dried my moist sp out several times, it doesnt harm them. Good luck and don't panic ;)

LGTARANTULAS

3 Year Member
If you have moist enclosures, you'll get mites occasionally. They're only a problem if theres a bunch. Just dry them out, the spider can go a long time without water. Two or three weeks is ok. Continue to feed the spider, but grab the bolus when its dropped. Mites are there for moisture and boli. I've dried my moist sp out several times, it doesnt harm them. Good luck and don't panic ;)
Thanks a lot bro. They seem to be almost dead. I have indeed been drying it out, but you telling me not to panic comforts me. I did douse my scorpions enclosures with water to keep it's humidity up as it does need quite a lot and from the looks of it. It looked like it started from it's enclosure and the crawled into other enclosures.

MassExodus

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Thanks a lot bro. They seem to be almost dead. I have indeed been drying it out, but you telling me not to panic comforts me. I did douse my scorpions enclosures with water to keep it's humidity up as it does need quite a lot and from the looks of it. It looked like it started from it's enclosure and the crawled into other enclosures.
Yep, thats how it starts. Every time I have to dry out an enclosure, two or three near the culprit are infested too. It's routine maintenance during certain times of the year. I've experimented with massive ventilation for the moist species, but all that does is cause me to check and bump moisture levels more often. I've actually gotten to the point that the moisture lovers are dried out half the time. They don't seem ill effected by it.

LGTARANTULAS

3 Year Member
Yep, thats how it starts. Every time I have to dry out an enclosure, two or three near the culprit are infested too. It's routine maintenance during certain times of the year. I've experimented with massive ventilation for the moist species, but all that does is cause me to check and bump moisture levels more often. I've actually gotten to the point that the moisture lovers are dried out half the time. They don't seem ill effected by it.
Yeah, it really sucks. Especially since this is the first time it's happened as well. Losing my P. Metallica and then having a mite infestation. Just my luck haha

Miss Jenkins

I found really tiny bugs huddled in groups around the water dish in one of my scorpions enclosure. I looked over at my other enclosures and they're also in my pokies enclosure. I checked the scorpion and tarantulas underneath and all around to see if they're attached to them as that's what mites do from what I know. Though I didn't see one bug on them. They just seem to stay around the humid area.

I really need to find out if they're a danger or not. I don't want to lose anymore tarantulas to an actual possibile fault of mine. I did check my P. Metallica that passed away. I wanted to see if the bugs were the reason for it's death, but it did not having anything on it. If it did, I wouldn't be writing this. I'll add a picture, if someone can identify them and give me advice if I need to actually worry and clean all the enclosures or if it's okay as I'm hoping they'll die out?...

View attachment 27821
Sorry for asking, but did you find out what type of mites it was?? I found something that looks like that yesterday, but they were on my spider and now she is dead i took one of them off and looked in my microscope..

Attachments

• 06AA7CDF-E827-4BE8-ABE3-05253A7AD335.jpeg
    06AA7CDF-E827-4BE8-ABE3-05253A7AD335.jpeg
    198.5 KB · Views: 70

Soulman

Yes hot water as mentioned,but you can use your oven.May be the bark,woods,hides.ect.not the housing,and not all plastic.only a short time.

Latest posts