• Are you a Tarantula hobbyist? If so, we invite you to join our community! Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your pets and enclosures and chat with other Tarantula enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Arachnophobia!!

Gini

3 Year Member
My name is Gini and I suffer from Arachnophobia. I wouldn't even go near the T table when I vended reptile shows. Then my husband, who also isn't (wasn't) a fan of them entered a raffle for the hell of it..and won! I admit I freaked over the tiny sling who died by accident (mike went to spray it with water and picked up the wrong bottle) :(
So he got another one, an Avicularia versicolor (I named Boo Boo) from the same person who is also a good friend of ours who said she'd cure us lol. I was fine with it until it got out when I was misting it! I freaked but got it back in its container. Then a friend was asked to rehome a rescued snake and T. She said I needed to take the tarantula because she wasn't. We go there and they needed rescued from the rescue. Mold and general nastiness. Her son wanted her but she said no way. So I let him name her. So we brought Heshi home. She's a G.rosea. I tried to claim her but my husband said to get my own. So I did. I got a P. ornata. I named it Abhya which means no fear. This weekend I'm getting my Christmas presents. A B. smithi and a B. boehmei. Also deciding on a third :)
Am I still afraid? Well yea..a little. But also have become very fond of them

Enn49

Staff member
1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Tarantula Club Member
My name is Gini and I suffer from Arachnophobia. I wouldn't even go near the T table when I vended reptile shows. Then my husband, who also isn't (wasn't) a fan of them entered a raffle for the hell of it..and won! I admit I freaked over the tiny sling who died by accident (mike went to spray it with water and picked up the wrong bottle) :(
So he got another one, an Avicularia versicolor (I named Boo Boo) from the same person who is also a good friend of ours who said she'd cure us lol. I was fine with it until it got out when I was misting it! I freaked but got it back in its container. Then a friend was asked to rehome a rescued snake and T. She said I needed to take the tarantula because she wasn't. We go there and they needed rescued from the rescue. Mold and general nastiness. Her son wanted her but she said no way. So I let him name her. So we brought Heshi home. She's a G.rosea. I tried to claim her but my husband said to get my own. So I did. I got a P. ornata. I named it Abhya which means no fear. This weekend I'm getting my Christmas presents. A B. smithi and a B. boehmei. Also deciding on a third :)
Am I still afraid? Well yea..a little. But also have become very fond of them

I was/am still arachnophobic. I have always been scared of spiders and bought my first T in the hope I could overcome that fear. Now 19 Ts on I adore them, I don't flinch if one runs onto my hand and can cope with escapees but I'm still scared of spiders on the loose in the house

Denny Dee

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Congrats guys for at least being open minded and giving it ago. Spiders are truly fascinating and amazing creatures. I personally don't handle any of my spiders as I believe they dislike it. Enjoy them and hopefully, in time, your fears will completely subside.

P.S. The ornata is on the top of the list of intimidation. Use caution at all times.

Gini

3 Year Member
I don't plan on handling them..still not quite that "fearless". And yes I know how the P. ornate are not to be messed with just enjoyed to look at

Frances Pauli

3 Year Member
I came to the hobby as an arachnophobe too. It didn't last long. I still twitch a little at loose spiders in my house, but I appreciate them more, and my Ts are my obsession. I adore them. Even more than I ever loved the reptiles. There's just something amazing about almost everything they do. lol
Welcome to the addiction.
(they really are a lot like pokemon--you have to catch them all)

:)

FaaFaa

3 Year Member
Hi Gina! Glad to see you are working on your fears head on! I too was afraid of spiders until I met a G. rosea that changed all of that. That was Feb. 2009 and I haven't looked back. I have 11 right now and 13 on the way!