• Are you a Tarantula hobbyist? If so, we invite you to join our community! Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your pets and enclosures and chat with other Tarantula enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Aphonopelma Chalcodes Winterizing Early?

MisfitEq

I'm still newer to keeping tarantulas and my A. Chalcodes's behavior has been a bit odd. She has been consistently out since I got her in May and the past couple of weeks we had the temperatures dip into the lower 70s. This week, despite being back to the regular temperatures this time of year, she has been hanging out in her hide more and more. She shows no signs of premolt or stress but is currently on the infamous hunger strike. She's also been more skittish than usual. No hair kicking, just going into her hide when she usually just sits there and watches me do stuff. I do want to try and feed her again just in case the lady is hungry (she's also a notoriously picky eater). My home stays consistently in the upper 60s-lower 70s. Is she trying to prep for winter here? Are there any other reasons she could be doing this?

Attachments

• 3480F025-3684-416E-B974-38E8149E6D49.jpeg
    3480F025-3684-416E-B974-38E8149E6D49.jpeg
    1.5 MB · Views: 611

Josh

Administrator
Staff member
1,000+ Post Club
Hard to say since there isn't much to go off of in terms of "symptoms"
How long since she last fed?

MisfitEq

Hard to say since there isn't much to go off of in terms of "symptoms"
How long since she last fed?
She ate 2 superworms on the Wednesday after I wrote this initially so hunger strike over for now. Her abdomen is still a bit smaller than I like but it's definitely healthier. She is still hanging out in her hide mostly during the day and at night she'll come out sometimes. I guess I just don't understand why she suddenly started hanging out mostly in her hide. She still shows no signs of premolt which is why I'm so puzzled.