• Are you a Tarantula hobbyist? If so, we invite you to join our community! Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your pets and enclosures and chat with other Tarantula enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Anything I should look for?

Tgotty90

3 Year Member
The reptile show is in town this weekend and I got some cash to burn, so asking for everyone's opinion on anything I should keep a eye out for to add to my collection. This is my current collection as of today.

A.avicularia
A.brocklehursti
A.geniculata
A.chalcodes
A.seemanni
A.francki(spider)
B.albopilsum
B.auratum
B.hamorii/smithi
B.vagans
C.bertae
C.cyaneopubescens
E.murinus
Euathlus sp red
G.porteri
G.pulchra
G.pulchripes
H.villosella
L.klugi
L.parahybana
N.chromatus
P.cacerides
P.pulcher

All pretty basic, looking for some good beginner OW more then anything. He had a few c.darlingi I was thinking about last time. Still trying to be cautious though about what I bring into the house with the kids so nothing too outrageous.

Last edited:

WolfSpider

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
@Tgotty90 : Ain't nothing basic about that collection. Excellent diversity from skittish, to confident, to long-lived, to gentle, to downright mean (P. Cancerides). You have webbers (GBB, Avic.) dwarfs and potential giants. A reasonably gentle OW is E. pachypus, but like many OWs, they dig and hide a lot.

Tgotty90

3 Year Member
@Tgotty90 : Ain't nothing basic about that collection. Excellent diversity from skittish, to confident, to long-lived, to gentle, to downright mean (P. Cancerides). You have webbers (GBB, Avic.) dwarfs and potential giants. A reasonably gentle OW is E. pachypus, but like many OWs, they dig and hide a lot.
Well basic compared to other collections atleast lol, definitely diverse for sure but I still want more :p E.pachypus is on my list as well, passed up on one awhile back and haven't seen one since.

PanzoN88

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
P. Esmeraldas (NW)
C. marshalli (OW)
M. balfouri (OW)
H. pulchripes (OW)
P. scrofa (NW)
B. emilia (NW): look at pictures of these and you'll see why I listed these.

Nicolas C

3 Year Member
If you are looking at good beginner OW, I'd suggest:

- Monocentropus balfouri
- Eucratoscelus pachypus
- Augacephalus ezendami
- Ceratogyrus marshalli
- Harpactira pulchripes

And why not try an arboreal? You already have a Psalmo, you could try:
- Encyocratella olivacea (African)

Or an asian Poecilotheria (metallica)? They are not beginner sp. but aren't that defensive (rather flee than fight).

Envoyé de mon iPhone en utilisant Tapatalk

Enn49

Staff member
1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Tarantula Club Member
All great suggestions here but of coarse I'm gonna be a bit more adventurous with my suggestion... Why not get an OBT sling, you'll get to watch it grow (rapid growers) and get used to the speed, temperament and then you're pretty much ready for anything else...

I have to be honest, I bought a juvi OBT as my first T and she has never given me a threat pose. 3+ years on and I still wonder why they have such a bad reputation and they are such beautiful Ts. Treat them with respect and you'd be fine.

Tgotty90

3 Year Member
Very disappointed I didn't get to go today :(
My girlfriend took the car to work this morning cause I was supposed to go to the show with my friend, but he decided to go into work too so stuck at the house for the day :mad: thanks everyone for the recommendations, there's a show in august so hoping I get to go then.

Enn49

Staff member
1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Tarantula Club Member
Very disappointed I didn't get to go today :(
My girlfriend took the car to work this morning cause I was supposed to go to the show with my friend, but he decided to go into work too so stuck at the house for the day :mad: thanks everyone for the recommendations, there's a show in august so hoping I get to go then.

What a disappointment. Maybe you could order them online and then buy more in August :D

Tgotty90

3 Year Member
What a disappointment. Maybe you could order them online and then buy more in August :D
I always keep my eyes open online but I love the shows though, I get to see everything first hand, better selection and prices too, and dont have to pay shipping :D this will give me some more time to think about what I really want next time atleast.

kormath

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
that sucks! Only thing i didn't see mentioned here is a Nhandu or P. sp Machala.