• Are you a Tarantula hobbyist? If so, we invite you to join our community! Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your pets and enclosures and chat with other Tarantula enthusiasts. Sign up today!

any advice with Aviv.v enclosure

kaz

3 Year Member
Have ordered myself an avicularia versicolor and just need some pointers really. Iv read that ventilation is key. IV got this setup, read that keeping air holes from the lid helps keep in moisture and plenty of holes in the side for circulation!! This I what I have so far.
WP_20151111_002.jpg

WP_20151111_003.jpg

was thinking of adding more holes to make a row which goes all the way down just above the substrate and a few more round the back. I read somewhere on here that someone would use a fan to create a light flow every so often to make sure the air is pushed through!!! Might try this aswell as opening the jar on a regular basis!! Any thoughts advice would be great thanks. Also I haven't dampened the enclosure yet will do this day before it arrives which hopefully be in the next couple of days.

while I think about it i could mainly do with advice for creating humidity. Some say no misting just add drops to the substrate and others say mist a couple of times a week. I was thinking of just keeping humidity by keeping the substrate dampish and add water when it starts to Dry. Also giving my feeders water before feeding them to the T. Read that keeping them hydrated in slightly dryer conditions is better Tha over moisture!!

p.s sorry if this post reads poorly its hard to go back and correct on the webpage on my phone!!!

Chubbs

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Have ordered myself an avicularia versicolor and just need some pointers really. Iv read that ventilation is key. IV got this setup, read that keeping air holes from the lid helps keep in moisture and plenty of holes in the side for circulation!! This I what I have so far.
View attachment 11890
View attachment 11891
was thinking of adding more holes to make a row which goes all the way down just above the substrate and a few more round the back. I read somewhere on here that someone would use a fan to create a light flow every so often to make sure the air is pushed through!!! Might try this aswell as opening the jar on a regular basis!! Any thoughts advice would be great thanks. Also I haven't dampened the enclosure yet will do this day before it arrives which hopefully be in the next couple of days.

while I think about it i could mainly do with advice for creating humidity. Some say no misting just add drops to the substrate and others say mist a couple of times a week. I was thinking of just keeping humidity by keeping the substrate dampish and add water when it starts to Dry. Also giving my feeders water before feeding them to the T. Read that keeping them hydrated in slightly dryer conditions is better Tha over moisture!!

p.s sorry if this post reads poorly its hard to go back and correct on the webpage on my phone!!!
It looks like you only have holes on two sides of the enclosure? I would put holes on all sides. Keep the substrate dry and just provide a water dish. Moist stuffy cages will often result in a dead Avic. They are not a humidity/moisture loving genus.

kaz

3 Year Member
yea was thinking of adding more holes all round. Thanks for the advice though, thought they needed more humidity which is why ventilation was key!!

MassExodus

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
yea was thinking of adding more holes all round. Thanks for the advice though, thought they needed more humidity which is why ventilation was key!!
They need slightly more humidity then say, a dry species, but that can be accomplished with just a water dish. I've always given my avics a large water dish, but never misted their enclosure regularly. If you have plenty of ventilation, you can flood, or make it rain for them occasionally, just be sure to let it dry out completely and stay dry for a month or so before doing it again..I just did it to simulate occasional rain, as a treat. I do that with many spiders though, not just avics. You'll find your own routine, but they do fine with just a dish. :)

kaz

3 Year Member
ok, thanks that's some cool advice. Like I mentioned was going to add more holes. Do I need to on the front if there's plenty round the sides and back. I'm odd and abit ocd. If needs must of course then I will. Think the plastic pots with tones of holes look sightly, but keeping it alive of course, is more important!!! Thanks

MassExodus

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
ok, thanks that's some cool advice. Like I mentioned was going to add more holes. Do I need to on the front if there's plenty round the sides and back. I'm odd and abit ocd. If needs must of course then I will. Think the plastic pots with tones of holes look sightly, but keeping it alive of course, is more important!!! Thanks
Looks like plenty of vent holes to me. Honestly, I put them all around, but I don't see why that wouldn't be plenty of ventilation for any spider. I always put them in a circle around the bottom, just above the substtrate, since that will be the point that needs drying out the most, like when you fill the water dish and it overflows, wetting the substrate. After doing this a few times, the substrate won't dry out properly and sometimes mold will form. Mold ans wet substrate are a no no, for any spider :)

Edit, wet substrate that doesn't dry out is a no no :)

kaz

3 Year Member
awesome thanks. I'll add some round the bottom, personally I thought adding tones close together should almost work the same as aload spread apart all over!! Since your almost creating more of an open area if that makes sense lol. Thanks again for your help I thought I had no way near enough.!!

MassExodus

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
awesome thanks. I'll add some round the bottom, personally I thought adding tones close together should almost work the same as aload spread apart all over!! Since your almost creating more of an open area if that makes sense lol. Thanks again for your help I thought I had no way near enough.!!
No problem at all, kaz. You'll find that issues like this depend a lot on the ambient temp/humidity of your home. It's around 60% humidity here in my room, but the humidity here in south Texas goes way up sometimes to 100% so ventilation is important here. If the air is dryer in your own home, you may not need as many vent holes as I do. You just have to experiment, keep an eye on your substrate if you have any moisture dependent species, and make sure it's drying out completely. You'll see what I mean after a while :)

kaz

3 Year Member
I live in the UK. Its currently warm for November over here. I am abit worried about heating. I have no additional heating just room temp. Have found the living room gets warm to the point iv had to open the windows and its November lol so have been thinking they should be ok.