• Are you a Tarantula hobbyist? If so, we invite you to join our community! Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your pets and enclosures and chat with other Tarantula enthusiasts. Sign up today!

About 3"/7.5cm A. avicularia, recent (less than 2 weeks ago) molt

Naturalist

Avicularia avicularia.jpg

ilovebrachys

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Did you keep the moult? As this is the most accurate way of sexing your T :)
Looking at your ventral pic I'd guess female :) but you'd need to check the moult to confirm..
If you post pics here of it we can help you with it..

ilovebrachys

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Oh also it is sitting in the damp part of my substrate does that mean that I should up the humidity of the terrarium in general? It is just hiding near the water bowl.
Can you post a pic of its enclosure? Avics should be kept with plenty of cross ventilation as they cannot cope with stuffy, humid enclosures - dry substrate with a water dish is perfect for them - plenty of climbing and hiding places in the enclosure are essential for a healthy tarantula :)

ilovebrachys

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
The enclosure is fine but you could add an additional piece of bark as a hide sometimes it helps them feel more secure.. Also if you keep the enclosure not in direct light will help them to feel a little less exposed... Don't wet the sub down as you will up the humidity and its not needed as you have an ample sized water dish which is great... How long have you had the T? Its likely that its just settling in :)

ilovebrachys

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Yeah just a couple of days. The substrate was not wet down. I will totally add another piece of bark as a hide. I am about to adopt a rescue A seemanni as well which I have a nice deep substrate 8x16x9 deep home for.
Great! sounds like the tarantula addiction has already got to you :)

Latest posts