• Are you a Tarantula hobbyist? If so, we invite you to join our community! Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your pets and enclosures and chat with other Tarantula enthusiasts. Sign up today!

A metallica

mercydrury

This girl I got from a pet store they had her in a tiny 1.5 inch tall deli cup she kept sticking her legs out the air holes. I felt so bad for her so I got her. She couldn’t climb the glass once I put her in which was heart breaking so I put extra cork bark in for her to climb. She used to eat great and has stopped eating for a month and half now. I figured it was premolt but I was giving her water yesterday and she like climbs to it and hunkers down to drink but it seems like she can’t get a drink and she will walk up to her roach and hold it when I do try once a week to see if she’s hungry and I’m used to seeing my T’s more retreat from food in premolt. So i guess I’m asking could this be normal premolt or does this sound weird like sucking stomach issues? I know nothing of her history. And she has like a scar on top of her abdomen. I’m going to say this is normal but I would like to hear what u guys think

Attachments

• IMG_5794.jpeg
    IMG_5794.jpeg
    1.9 MB · Views: 373
  • IMG_5792.jpeg
    IMG_5792.jpeg
    1.5 MB · Views: 250
  • IMG_6135.jpeg
    IMG_6135.jpeg
    1.4 MB · Views: 1,527
  • IMG_6134.jpeg
    IMG_6134.jpeg
    1.6 MB · Views: 1,365

mercydrury

Trying to feed right now she pounced let go after chewing a few times walked away walks back and line when she tries to drink she just rests her mouth on top of her cricket?? Ssssooo weird!

Attachments

• IMG_6139.jpeg
    IMG_6139.jpeg
    1.3 MB · Views: 1,520
  • IMG_6138.jpeg
    IMG_6138.jpeg
    1.3 MB · Views: 1,521
  • IMG_6136.jpeg
    IMG_6136.jpeg
    1.3 MB · Views: 1,300
I can't help with your spiders issues other than to say pre molt as your thinking ,but the drinking thing I find very disturbing! Most of my T's when I know there in premolt I always,always make sure there water dishes have water and if dry immediately fill them. Seems like I catch most of my T's drinking and hanging around the water dish when in premolt. Maybe a coincidence but I still catch them drinking mostly after going into premolt. I'm glad you rescued her from that enclosure. Even if she has an issue she don't have to live like you found her and obviously she is in a better environment. I hope she pulls through whatever maybe causing her issues and certainly hope it's not the sucking stomach! Best wishes to you both.

mercydrury

I can't help with your spiders issues other than to say pre molt as your thinking ,but the drinking thing I find very disturbing! Most of my T's when I know there in premolt I always,always make sure there water dishes have water and if dry immediately fill them. Seems like I catch most of my T's drinking and hanging around the water dish when in premolt. Maybe a coincidence but I still catch them drinking mostly after going into premolt. I'm glad you rescued her from that enclosure. Even if she has an issue she don't have to live like you found her and obviously she is in a better environment. I hope she pulls through whatever maybe causing her issues and certainly hope it's not the sucking stomach! Best wishes to you both.
Guess what she molted yesterday! And she can now grip again I’m beyond happy for her she’s acting like a normal T again! Couldn’t sex the molt unfortunately but sucking stomach was there! Thank u for the help I e just never seen any of mine do this lol I’m wondering if she was resting her mouth on the crickets and water naturally but not doing any more then that since she couldn’t do close to molt?

mercydrury

Cool beans!! Sometimes my old world T's strike at prey items when in pre molt but don't take! T behavior can be strange sometimes but always fascinating and cool!
Haha agreed ALWAYS fascinating and cool!! I always try to not panic dince it’s always turned out perfectly in the end but sometimes I do if I’ve never seen it before what’s your favorite old world? I want a P lugardi! But I also have never kept an old world but I know I can.

Haha agreed ALWAYS fascinating and cool!! I always try to not panic dince it’s always turned out perfectly in the end but sometimes I do if I’ve never seen it before what’s your favorite old world? I want a P lugardi! But I also have never kept an old world but I know I can.
I love all things Chilobrachys! OBT high up the like list! Most of my Chilobrachys are pretty chill for old worlders except my guangxiensis. The P. Lugardi is supposed to be a good beginner old world! Truthfully, I believe an OBT is a good starter if you give them space and respect that they deserve! All T's just want to avoid conflict and I have yet to raise one that wanted to come out and bite. But with that being said definitely steer clear of Cyriopagopous! My Schmidti's are full on. Mature male always in a bad mood! My juvie and full grown female are good long as you don't touch any part of them. Put my big girl in a new enclosure and at first nothing but stress pose but I barely and I mean barely brushed her back leg and AHHHHHH I'm going to kill everything! This usually goes on a second or 2 and then they bolt like a bat out Hades! That is about the blue print of all old worlders! So if you do get an old world that is the behavior of most. Just always remain calm and yes you will experience jump scares. No matter how much you know it's coming you still jump..lol. Old worlders are fun and ALL Ts are beautiful ❤️

mercydrury

I almost got a C shmidti! Beautiful and I actually want a dcf mozambique obt’s are so beautiful!!! Never heard of guangxiensis I’ll need to look them up lol sounds fun!! Omg I have one of those my P victori and speed runs in any direction I open I have to be very aware and the threat poses or grabs the pipers my P irminia a little but not like my death mail i love it! My S Santa catalina is also a psycho but in a different way. Maybe I will go ahead and get me the obt!! Thank u for the tips!! And a new spider to research lol that’s like Xmas to me!!

I just recently got a female P. Irminia. Need to get her out of the less than stellar enclosure she is in though. I bought her in a giant plastic snack container that was converted to keep her in. Not going to be an easy feat to get her out and yes I dread it but I can't stand to see her in it anymore. There's nothing in with her to suggest she is arboreal! Nothing but a couple inches of substrate like she were fossorial! Have not tested her temperament yet but I have kept Psalmopeous. My male Cambridgei was a super sweet heart for a Psalmopeous as well as my male Irminia. My Ecclesiasticus on the other hand is as psycho as any Cyriopagopous. Maybe worse lol . Funny they all have personalities like people. Some within the same species just seem to be worse lol. My Emeraldus (suspect female) likes to run,run,run at anything but never no threat poses..ohhh well could go on and on! Definitely should try some old worlders though. Why limit yourself especially if it's something you really like. Happy spidering friend!!

Enn49

Staff member
1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Tarantula Club Member
My first ever T was an OBT and over the years I've had 7 and never yet had a threat pose from one. Most of them turn tail and run to hide although the Usambara that I currently have will on occasion spin in a circle when I top her water up whereas the current RCF will just vanish.
The one T I have that gives me pause is my Phormingochilus. sp ackaya that will rise up in a very impressive threat pose as soon as I touch its container, it will also attempt escape as soon as I lift the lid.. Rehousing will be fun.

mercydrury

My first ever T was an OBT and over the years I've had 7 and never yet had a threat pose from one. Most of them turn tail and run to hide although the Usambara that I currently have will on occasion spin in a circle when I top her water up whereas the current RCF will just vanish.
The one T I have that gives me pause is my Phormingochilus. sp ackaya that will rise up in a very impressive threat pose as soon as I touch its container, it will also attempt escape as soon as I lift the lid.. Rehousing will be fun.
Omg I can’t remember who uses a Phormingochilus as there logo but i love it best threat pose I have ever seen!!! And the so ackaya is gorgeous, that circle spin is my favorite!! U got to share a pic when h get a minute so I can drool over here

Latest posts