• Are you a Tarantula hobbyist? If so, we invite you to join our community! Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your pets and enclosures and chat with other Tarantula enthusiasts. Sign up today!

A. Geniculata sex?

Metalman2004

3 Year Member

GermanGamer7

download (2).jpeg

@Hemolymph

Arachnoclown

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Tarantula Club Member

Phil

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
just realised I never actually replied to whether my view on the OP was Male or female.
Based on the advice about ventral sexing (see below) I am actually going to be a bit controversial here, buck the trend of @Arachnoclown and @GermanGamer7 and go for favouring FEMALE.

A moult would be best and nail it once and for all though as I am not 100% which is why ventral sexing is more guess work than a science.

This is the advice I always refer to.....

Ventral sexing (Not as accurate)
Usually, the females book lung spacing is closer together (top left is close to bottom left and top right is closer to bottom right) but there is a wider space between the bottom two book lungs.

Males are the opposite. The top left and bottom left have more space between them and so on for the top right & bottom right. The bottom set of book lungs tend to be "closer" together and look vertical to the top set rather than angled like the females.

Also, usually in males there will appear to be a "belly button" between the top two book lungs and in females there appears to be a set of "lips" between the top two book lungs (exuvium area).

So, in summary....some think Male some think female. welcome to the joy of sexing guys! ha ha

Casey K.

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Tarantula Club Member
I'm gonna say female. I'm basing my opinion (which is exactly what it is; an opinion) on the crescent half moon shape on the exuvium and also what appears to be a "mustache" curled over what appears to be a set of "lips". I do see a hint of dark coloration above the exuvium that would possibly be the area where epiandrous fusillae would appear in the near future (which only males have) but I have raised some female tarantulas (theraphosa, lasiodora, monocentropus, pelinobius* (spelling may be off on these) just to name a few) that had the same coloration but it never became fusillae. The only sure fire way to tell is to check the molt. :)

MassExodus

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
I despise vent sexing, unless its a fully mature adult ;) Because I suck at it. I bought a usb scope and never looked back. Some tarantulas can be three years old and I couldn't say if it was Ken or Barbie.:mad: There certainly are people on the board who can though. Best advise I can give is: Spend $20 on a cheap usb microscope instead of your next sling, wait for a molt and enter the wonderful world of certainty. Btw I've had three or four dealers send me "sexed female" small juvies that turned out to be males. Careful of the ones that sell 2-3" "females"...some get it right. Others don't.