• Are you a Tarantula hobbyist? If so, we invite you to join our community! Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your pets and enclosures and chat with other Tarantula enthusiasts. Sign up today!

a few questions

fisherboy777

3 Year Member
Hi i am new to tarantula keeping so i have decided to buy my first tarantula but i cannot decide what to do. i will be very grateful if you answer the newbie questions:)

1. is the spider shop (online) good because the sell online and i am afraid it could be a scam or they will send spiders caught from the wild.

2. (2) of my friends said that they bought a spiderling for there first tarantula and it is now very big and healthy so
if i choose to buy a spiderling is it wise to buy only one because I heard that when they are young and most of the can die is that true.

4. what bedding would you use for a spiderling/spider.

Enn49

Staff member
1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Tarantula Club Member
If you are in the UK, then yes The Spider Shop is excelent as are Tarantulas Bristol, Bugzuk and Exotic Animals.

I'd recommend buying a juvenile as a first T simply because a sling needs more precise care. If you do buy a sling, or more, I'd keep them separately as they can eat each other and only a few species are recommended for communals but as a beginner, I for one woouldn't go that route. .

Coir is a good substrate to use.

Ghost

3 Year Member
+1 for what Enn said the spider shop is excellent and Lee is a top bloke I have being getting T's from them for years and never had any problems,if you look in the description on TSS website it will tell you if the T is wild caught or captive bred,the other shops that Enn mentioned are also very good as well none of them will Scam you.

I would also suggest that for your first T that you get a juvenile that is sexed female as they live longer than males.

spidey noob

3 Year Member
i could also recomend the spider shop a 100% but have not used the others yet ;)
what T u thinking of getting ??? tss have juvi b,smithi at presant & there an exalent firt spices :):):)

Latest posts