• Are you a Tarantula hobbyist? If so, we invite you to join our community! Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your pets and enclosures and chat with other Tarantula enthusiasts. Sign up today!

When to replace substrate?

Malcspring

Hey folks,
I am curious as to when to replace the substrate in my girls enclosure?
Since I got her 7-8 weeks ago she has molted and started feeding.
She has been in her current home for the same length of time that I have had her.
Are there any hard and fast rules as to when to change the substrate as I don't want her to catch anything due to living in dirty conditions?
Thanks for any advice.
Malc

Enn49

Staff member
1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Tarantula Club Member
There is no hard and fast rule. Most of mine only get fresh substrate when they out grow their container and move to a larger one.
As long as you remove bolus regularly there is no real need to disturb their homes, some of my adults have been on the same substrate for 3-4 years.

Malcspring

There is no hard and fast rule. Most of mine only get fresh substrate when they out grow their container and move to a larger one.
As long as you remove bolus regularly there is no real need to disturb their homes, some of my adults have been on the same substrate for 3-4 years.
Thanks for the info. Very much appreciated.
So effectively I don't really need to remove her? I can remove the top (dirty) layer without disturbing her?
Also is it advisable to vary their diet so they get all the right nutrients? All she has had so far are locusts. Maybe vary with crickets or something similar?

Enn49

Staff member
1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Tarantula Club Member
I don't remove the whole top layer, most tarantulas will make a parcel of any rubbish and you just need to remove them.
You could feed crickets, meal or wax worms, or Dubai roaches as an alternative.

Latest posts