• Are you a Tarantula hobbyist? If so, we invite you to join our community! Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your pets and enclosures and chat with other Tarantula enthusiasts. Sign up today!

The amount of stuff that should have killed my spiders but didn't

obungma

I have been keeping some spider now for a while and I keep up with stuff just to make sure what I'm doing is correct, but it keeps getting me more and more worried as I go on reading what NOT to do. I kept some spider from slings to adults with many mistakes along the way, like using scented candles in the same room, keeping supplies in a bag in my kitchen with constant stuff going on, the amount of open windows possibly letting in harmful chemicals, and yet they still thrive. How is this possible? I'm worried eventually all this stuff is gonna catch up to them and I don't know what to do. The amount of harm possible from he smallest things is almost causing me to quit the hobby. Should I just keep doing what I'm doing since they seem fine?

Enn49

Staff member
1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Tarantula Club Member
There is so little that we really know about tarantulas and how chemicals etc affect them that I think we are all on a learning curve. They must come across some chemicals in the wild and survive so I don't think the amount blown in through an open window is anything to worry about but on the other hand spraying in a closed room may well be a death sentence.
I'd stop worrying too much but don't use things like cat/dog flea sprays in the same room and always wash your hands before handling Ts and their containers, food etc.

m0lsx

Staff member
1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Tarantula Club Member
I have dogs & will not feed or go too close to my T's on a day when I have wormed / flea treated the dogs. I also won't use scented candles, incense or air freshners etc in the same room as my t's.

One of my T's came from a home where they used incense in the same room & they had even put a branch from a Christmas tree in there!! Christmas Trees & any other fir type tree is really bad news. There is a good reason why we use PINE disinfectant. Pine is a natural bactericide, germicide and fungicide & is known to be fatal to many animals & effects their nervous system & kidneys. Yet my T seems to have survived all of that.

Latest posts