• Are you a Tarantula hobbyist? If so, we invite you to join our community! Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your pets and enclosures and chat with other Tarantula enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Tarantula feet

TwinkleToes19

My tarantula crawled up my arm when I was changing her water today, I noticed after I got her back into her enclosure that the areas her little feet claws poked into are mildly irritated. Is this a normal thing or am I possibly allergic to her? Also I'm certain it's not urticating hairs because it was where I felt her little claws latched into my skin when I was trying to gently coax her off my arm and back into the enclosure.

TwinkleToes19

If she's a New World T then it will most likely be urticating hairs that have irritated you.
Interesting, I just thought it might be from the little feet hooks piercing the skin. The irritation doesn't really last long nor is it severe which is a good thing. She is a new world with Type 1 and 3 urticating hairs. I'm also aware that you can develop a worse reaction the more you're exposed to the hairs, but I'm not sure how quick that can happen. I've been meaning to get some gloves since she is easily spooked and sometimes kicks.

m0lsx

Staff member
1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Tarantula Club Member
I keep some cheap (£1 for 30) hayfever (antihistamine) tablets in the house for when I am flicked at. For when it irritates more than is comfortable, or over a longer period. Also washing the area with soap & cold running water helps to alleviate the irritation.

I find that sometimes the irritation vanishes only to return during the night when you are warm & comfortable under the covers.

Personally, I have found that I am experiencing less irritation from the hair flicking as time passes.

Latest posts