• Are you a Tarantula hobbyist? If so, we invite you to join our community! Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your pets and enclosures and chat with other Tarantula enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Substrate

Clownc0ffin

Hi again! I'm a few days into having my tarantula. I'm realizing that the substrate I gave her doesn't hold very well when she's trying to tunnel. I've moved some stuff around in her enclosure though such as giving her more substrate so that she can stand on her hind legs and reach the top because she's been climbing a lot and she keeps falling. It's eco earth and from what I'm reading it doesn't hold well when it comes to burrowing, I've pressed it down but I don't know if she likes it. Of course she could still be getting used to it and I've learned to just leave her alone. I gave her a more lightweight hide and some fake plants because I was afraid the other hide was too heavy and would collapse on her if she was tunneling. What could I do about the eco earth? I don't want to keep messing with her enclosure and stress her out while she's trying to get used to things but I worry that she may suffocate herself if it can't hold shape. I have a big problem with having a lot of anxiety about my animal's health. I got her after I lost my bird who was my best friend and unfortunately i can see myself transferring all that love I had left for my bird to my new T, in turn causing me to constantly worry about her well-being.

m0lsx

Staff member
1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Tarantula Club Member
Eco earth is fine. There are two kinds of earth moving. One is to simply make high & low points within the enclosure the other is to make a burrow (tunnel.) And the second kind of earth moving results in the tunnel having webbing around it to support the tunnel.

Have a look at Jeef's post. "I'm Baffled." His T has built a substrate stalactite. So a subbstrate turret from the lid of their enclosure. Click here

Latest posts