• Are you a Tarantula hobbyist? If so, we invite you to join our community! Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your pets and enclosures and chat with other Tarantula enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Pavlov's Classical Conditioning in Ts?

hairylegs

Hola and I'm wondering if any of you have encountered this with any of your Ts: The Brachypelma Auratum purchased almost 3 years ago here in Mexico has adjusted well to captivity and has grown considerably. Since her last/3rd moult in July she rushes to the center of the enclosure whenever the lid is removed and appears to be waiting for food. This reminds me of our dogs' congregating in the kitchen just before meal time.Have any of your Ts shown "conditioning" behavior? Thanks for any comments.

x_raphael_xx

3 Year Member
Hola and I'm wondering if any of you have encountered this with any of your Ts: The Brachypelma Auratum purchased almost 3 years ago here in Mexico has adjusted well to captivity and has grown considerably. Since her last/3rd moult in July she rushes to the center of the enclosure whenever the lid is removed and appears to be waiting for food. This reminds me of our dogs' congregating in the kitchen just before meal time.Have any of your Ts shown "conditioning" behavior? Thanks for any comments.
Welcome to the forums :)

Tarantulas don't really 'learn'. Their brains are very primative and reactions are based on the stimulus they are currently experiencing. It's why they will never get used to handling over time.
It's probably purely coincidental. Possibly it has laid web strands and is feeling vibrations along those? Or the air movement when the lid is removed :)

SullivanC

@x_raphael_xx Is correct because tarantulas dont have the capacity to get used to human interactions or learn anything. Everything they will do is purely on instincts but if she can feel the vibration at where you drop the food then tarantula probably knows thats where the food is so they come there to find it :) So many people think their tarantulas enjoy being handled when she or he does not show any defensive behavior but thats only because tarantula is showing tolerance, its like when you encounter a person you dont like but if they talk to you sometimes you dont want to be rude so you will keep the conversation going with them but hoping they finish it as soon as possible because you only tolerate it but dont enjoy it at all, its very similar scenario with tarantulas