• Are you a Tarantula hobbyist? If so, we invite you to join our community! Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your pets and enclosures and chat with other Tarantula enthusiasts. Sign up today!

New sling I got not eating, need help

GeckoxLover

Hii! I just got my Mexican red knee tarantula however it is still a small sling I was trying to get it to eat since I had no idea when the last it ate however when I checked it’s cage it came in I found molts and I’m a little confused and don’t know when I need to feed it!

Enn49

Staff member
1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Tarantula Club Member
You don't say how small it is but I'd leave it 4-5 days before feeding just in case it has moulted recently.

m0lsx

Staff member
1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Tarantula Club Member
Hii! I just got my Mexican red knee tarantula however it is still a small sling I was trying to get it to eat since I had no idea when the last it ate.

What are you feeding? I only use mealworms for my small slings. The heads need to be cut off otherwise they burrow & can then emerge weeks later as beetles. One big advantage of cutting a head off a mealworm is that your sling gets easy access to the soft inner of the mealworm. A meal worm will still be moving slightly after 2 - 3 days. So it's like feeding live food. But with easy access.

A second advantage with using beheaded mealworms is that being largish, they are normally easy to find & remove. Although some slings will bury it's mealworms.

With small slings I have never found a way to know if they have eaten or not. They eat so little. So I simply put mealworms in 2- 3 times per week & then remove the next day to stop them going mouldy. So always leave it there overnight. Many T's eat overnight when the room is quiet & dark.

Another issue is what do you keep your small sling in? You use the term cage. I keep all of my small slings in small vials. And then as they grow, I move them into larger enclosures. But even my large slings only have smallish enclosures. T's are ambush predators, they sit & wait for the food to come to them. So a larger enclosure is not always ideal.

The larger of these enclosures, I only use on larger, slow growing slings that like to burrow.

This is how I keep my slings. Inside a food container.

This is the kind of thing I keep larger slings in.

Again, I only use these for larger slings.

Enn49

Staff member
1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Tarantula Club Member
Yeah that’s probably it do you think small meal worms or small crickets are the best T-T

To be honest I' feed all my Ts crickets. For tiny slings you can feed prekilled, just crush their heads.

m0lsx

Staff member
1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Tarantula Club Member
I have a problem keeping crickets alive very long

Most supermarkets sell cheap porridge & I now use raisins/sultanas, as moist food. But remove dead crickets from your cricket tub, as they give off fumes which kill the others.

I use average sized mealworms for my slings & just cut the heads off. Again, I add fresh porridge as needed & I tend not to add raisins for food.

dexjones0612

Thanks for the tips! this has been very helpful, I must say I'm just getting into the hobby and my collection is only 13 but I'm so addicted. it has been very challenging cause I mostly have slings.