• Are you a Tarantula hobbyist? If so, we invite you to join our community! Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your pets and enclosures and chat with other Tarantula enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Mealworm feeding assistance

ponyo_33

I have a Chilean rose tarantula, she has a couple inches of substrate in her tank and I tried to feed her meal worms and she didn’t get any of them because they all just crawled into that. Do I need to take her out of her regular tank and put her in something with no substrate to feed her meal worms? Or are mealworms just not a viable option?

Lawrence b

3 Year Member
You should not have to take her out her tank to feed her , maybe she not hungry . Or maybe try Crickets or roaches but they are know for fasting . I have Grammostola pulchripes that stop taking mario worms but takes crickets . You can keep offering every few days and use thongs to pick them up before they bury themselves . Maybe post pic of your setup ?

m0lsx

Staff member
1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Tarantula Club Member
I always behead the mealworms & roaches that I use. As they do, burrow. Don't leave food in for more than 24 hours, this is especially important if it's dead prey, as that goes mouldy very quickly.

ponyo_33

You should not have to take her out her tank to feed her , maybe she not hungry . Or maybe try Crickets or roaches but they are know for fasting . I have Grammostola pulchripes that stop taking mario worms but takes crickets . You can keep offering every few days and use thongs to pick them up before they bury themselves . Maybe post pic of your setup ?
She does normally eat crickets, and I know she’s hungry cause when I was putting them inside, I disturbed some dirt near her, and she moved towards it like she was hunting, she even got directly over them and then stayed there, I don’t think she could feel them beneath her as they burrowed. I’ll post a pic once I’m home.

ponyo_33

I always behead the mealworms & roaches that I use. As they do, burrow. Don't leave food in for more than 24 hours, this is especially important if it's dead prey, as that goes mouldy very quickly.
I’m not sure she’ll eat them dead, I’ll give it a try though

Lawrence b

3 Year Member
She does normally eat crickets, and I know she’s hungry cause when I was putting them inside, I disturbed some dirt near her, and she moved towards it like she was hunting, she even got directly over them and then stayed there, I don’t think she could feel them beneath her as they burrowed. I’ll post a pic once I’m home.
Maybe she goes for the crickets because the move faster and gets better feeding response . Like I said before one of my Grammostola pulchripes does not take morio worms and sometime she strikes and just lets them go . I just put it down too maybe she not hungry enough to take them . They can go into fasting mode and all you can do is keep trying .

m0lsx

Staff member
1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Tarantula Club Member
I’m not sure she’ll eat them dead, I’ll give it a try though

A mealworm will still move 24 hours after being beheaded & roaches can live for several days with their head crushed. With roaches, I tend to drop them in on their backs as like that their legs move & they get the best feeding response. But T's especially slings would eat dead prey in the wild.

I have a T. Albo that will only eat mealworms and only after lights out for the night. So I have to behead them. Sometimes she will run over and bite them and drop them until after I turn the lights out for the night.