• Are you a Tarantula hobbyist? If so, we invite you to join our community! Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your pets and enclosures and chat with other Tarantula enthusiasts. Sign up today!

LP dilemma

Ed Zeppelin

3 Year Member
I have a problem. I would like to remove the molt to take a couple pics (for sexing) but here's the rub. It's sitting waaaay in the back of the hide. The LP is rather skittish and every time I open the enclosure for access to feed, water, etc., it runs really really fast back into its sanctuary. I don't wanna freak out the spider and leave it emotionally scarred by disturbing its crib just to remove the molt, but I don't know how else to deal with this. Any suggestions would sure be helpful. Thanx.
:T:

Enn49

Staff member
1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Tarantula Club Member
Can you lift the hide to reach it with tongs? Otherwise it may be a case of waiting until she throws it tout.

Ed Zeppelin

3 Year Member
15353071430927061943995008152382.jpg
Can you lift the hide to reach it with tongs? Otherwise it may be a case of waiting until she throws it tout.

Yeah I can do that but that's what I'm afraid of, freaking him/her out when I move the hide. Do you think it will eventually get tired of looking at the thing and just toss it outside? It's been in there for about a week now. Or maybe I can put a little sign in the far corner of the enclosure that says "deposit molts here." :D

Attachments

• 15353067187005366689982843554808.jpg
    15353067187005366689982843554808.jpg
    1.6 MB · Views: 9
Last edited:

Enn49

Staff member
1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Tarantula Club Member
Some like to keep their moults but usually they will eventually throw them out. My LPs always moulted in the open so I never had that problem. The only other suggestion would be to tempt it out with food and take the chance to grab the moult while it otherwise occupied.

Ed Zeppelin

3 Year Member
Some like to keep their moults but usually they will eventually throw them out. My LPs always moulted in the open so I never had that problem. The only other suggestion would be to tempt it out with food and take the chance to grab the moult while it otherwise occupied.

I thought of that but the only problem with that is whenever I feed it, it grabs the food and then scampers back inside with its meal faster than you can say Rumpelstiltskin. I don't stand a chance. This is the first molt since I've had it. Maybe I'll just have to move the hide regardless of where the spider is and let the chips fall where they may.

Phil

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
View attachment 31859

Yeah I can do that but that's what I'm afraid of, freaking him/her out when I move the hide. Do you think it will eventually get tired of looking at the thing and just toss it outside? It's been in there for about a week now. Or maybe I can put a little sign in the far corner of the enclosure that says "deposit molts here." :D
That's funny....one thing to be aware of though is that theybdry out quickly and become brittle so after a week it may already be trashed and unable to inspect the business end. you can mist them and leave to hydrate again if in tact but may already be too late so best advice would be to bite the bullet and just try and retrieve. @Enn49 gave good diversion tactics :)

Ed Zeppelin

3 Year Member
That's funny....one thing to be aware of though is that theybdry out quickly and become brittle so after a week it may already be trashed and unable to inspect the business end. you can mist them and leave to hydrate again if in tact but may already be too late so best advice would be to bite the bullet and just try and retrieve. @Enn49 gave good diversion tactics :)

Okay, I guess I'll just move the hide, pull it out and see what happens. I just hope it hasn't been in there too long and I freak out the spider for nuthin'.

Ed Zeppelin

3 Year Member
Okay, I guess I'll just move the hide, pull it out and see what happens. I just hope it hasn't been in there too long and I freak out the spider for nuthin'.

Well I got the molt out but I think you're right it's really kind of mangled so I don't know if it's worth anything. I also think I just got flipped off by a spider, eight times actually. I'm now dealing with one pissed off spider. Live and learn.

Attachments

• 20180826_152045.jpg
    20180826_152045.jpg
    1.3 MB · Views: 7

Ed Zeppelin

3 Year Member

I think I may have just replied to myself. Sorry 'bout that.

Enn49

Staff member
1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Tarantula Club Member
That's a good one compared with what I used to get from my adult OBT. She'd remove all the legs to decorate her burrow and web tunnel and if I was lucky months later she'd throw out whatever was left. My OBT sling must have moulted a few times in the year I've had it, definitely grown a lot but I've not seen a moult yet. :)

Ed Zeppelin

3 Year Member
That's a good one compared with what I used to get from my adult OBT. She'd remove all the legs to decorate her burrow and web tunnel and if I was lucky months later she'd throw out whatever was left. My OBT sling must have moulted a few times in the year I've had it, definitely grown a lot but I've not seen a moult yet. :)

Gotcha. I guess everyone has their own tastes when it comes to decorating their cribs. Boy did that poor thing freak when I moved its hide with it still in there. But I digress. Do you think there's any point in trying to hydrate it (the molt, not the spider) at this point, or just chalk it up to a learning experience and try again next time?

Enn49

Staff member
1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Tarantula Club Member
I think I'd give up on that one and hope for better next time.

Enn49

Staff member
1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Tarantula Club Member
Frequency of moulting depends on to many factors, size, sex, feeding and temperatures, that it is difficult to say. A tiny sling can moult after 4-5 weeks but as they grow the gap between increases to adult females that can go 1,2 or more years without a moult.

Ed Zeppelin

3 Year Member
Frequency of moulting depends on to many factors, size, sex, feeding and temperatures, that it is difficult to say. A tiny sling can moult after 4-5 weeks but as they grow the gap between increases to adult females that can go 1,2 or more years without a moult.

Gotcha. Would the molt gap increase with age mostly bcuz they are reaching (or have reached) full size? If that's the primary factor it would make sense.

Enn49

Staff member
1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Tarantula Club Member
Yes, and males tend to moult more often as they mature more quickly.

Ed Zeppelin

3 Year Member
Yes, and males tend to moult more often as they mature more quickly.

Gotcha. Next time I won't wait to retrieve it. Maybe then I can get some good pics and post them up.
BTW, I have a question about A. avics. Can I ask it here or do I need to post it in that section?

Enn49

Staff member
1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Tarantula Club Member
Gotcha. Next time I won't wait to retrieve it. Maybe then I can get some good pics and post them up.
BTW, I have a question about A. avics. Can I ask it here or do I need to post it in that section?

Try to get a ventral pic and post it, someone may be able to sex it for you.
You will be best starting another thread about the Avic either in the avic section or the general

Ed Zeppelin

3 Year Member
Try to get a ventral pic and post it, someone may be able to sex it for you.
You will be best starting another thread about the Avic either in the avic section or the general

Thanx. I'll post it up in the Avic section.

Whitelightning777

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
I'd feed the tarantula something a little on the large side and then lift the hide exactly straight up vertically without tilting it. Then slowly use feeding tongs to get the molt IF it's been there for a long while.

Obviously never feed a newly molted tarantula.

That's how I pull out my L klugi's and my Pamphobeteus sp machala's molts when they're done. I did basically the same thing with my T stirmi as well but used pliers to lift the hide instead of by hand.

I wait about 36 to 48 his before attempting to pull the molt. They are much more nervous so I mine very very slowly.

Latest posts