• Are you a Tarantula hobbyist? If so, we invite you to join our community! Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your pets and enclosures and chat with other Tarantula enthusiasts. Sign up today!

GBB Sling (1.25") - Concern

Tangochile

3 Year Member
Hi,

I have a GBB sling, approx 1.25" legspan and I have had it for around 6 months. In that time it has moulted only once.

It has eaten reasonably well and been active, but over the last couple of weeks it's sitting with it's legs curled tightly into a ball (not dead, btw!) and isn't interested in moving around. I was hoping this was pre-moult but am not too sure, it doesn't look happy at all. It is not taking any food.

Any ideas welcome. I have looked after T's for over 20 years and am fairly experienced, but slings are relatively new to me.

Thanks

Spiders&Snakes

Could we see a picture please? Let's hope it's not a death curl. Is it resting on it's knee joints rather than it's feet?

What is the humidity in the enclosure? And does your GBB have access to fresh water? It could be a hydration issue.

Tangochile

3 Year Member
Apologies for the delay in replying, I have been away with work. My wife called me on Wednesday to say the little GBB had died, which wasn't too surprising given it's actions, but is the first time I have lost a spider from anything other than old age. I have no idea what was wrong with the set-up, it had seemed perfectly happy and the room temperature/humidity was always constant (albeit cooler overnight, obviously). All the other T's are happy.