• Are you a Tarantula hobbyist? If so, we invite you to join our community! Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your pets and enclosures and chat with other Tarantula enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Chilobrachys natanicharum (electric blue) escape and fall.

Cold-Blood

My female Chilobrachys natanicharum (electric blue) at about 5.75" DLS launched out of her enclosure while cleaning and changing substrate today, and ran off the edge of the stand, falling about three feet.
I usually clean or feed after I have gently moved the enclosures to the floor to prevent this exact circumstance; this was, unfortunately, a moment of pure and simple stupidity.
I did not have a catch cup handy to break her fall (again, stupidity) as I was holding a pair of tongs and a plastic plant. I am aware I probably should have placed a paper towel plug inside the entrance to her burrow, but did not have the foresight.
Her abdomen is smaller than her carapace and not especially full as it was in between feedings, and she hit the ground running. There are no visible signs of injury, and no leaks. The only unusual thing I noticed is that her third leg on her left side, and second on her right appear to involuntarily drift upwards, albeit minimally. I only noticed this a few minutes after the fall, and have observed it twice since.

This individual was going to be bred in the near future, once she molted again, unfortunately.

My question is how long do you think it might take for internal injuries to manifest? If she made it past her next molt, could I consider her OK? How good is this species (or genus) at handling a fall? These species were discovered in mangrove trees, I believe, and the individuals found had to be climbed to? So, if it is able to live in the hollow of a mangrove tree at some hight, may it be able to survive a short fall?
This is very disappointing, as she is one of the most stunning ones I have ever seen, and spends more time on display than my other fossorials. I wish I had had more time to react. ☹️

Latest posts