• Are you a Tarantula hobbyist? If so, we invite you to join our community! Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your pets and enclosures and chat with other Tarantula enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Can I feed my b albiceps sling everyday?

jsteez

I currently have a b albiceps sling. I’ve read a lot about this species and how they grow slowly or people have trouble getting them to eat. However my sling is a veracious eater to say the least. He eats anything I throw in there and will eat everyday if I wanted to feed him that much. My question is I want him to grow as fast as possible but want him to be healthy so could I feed it everyday or every other day? I know it’s not necessarily good to do that but would it hurt him? I don’t feed if his abdomen is to big and have been feeding him every 2-3 days usually a mix of meal worms, darkling beetles and dubia roaches

m0lsx

Staff member
1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Tarantula Club Member
We feed our slings 2 or 3 times per week. They only get whole, but beheaded, mealworms, until they are about 2cm plus, then we move them into larger enclosures & feed them live food, once per week.

Personally, I would not feed every day. I find alternate days, with uneaten food removed after 24 hours, is more than sufficient.

mercydrury

I currently have a b albiceps sling. I’ve read a lot about this species and how they grow slowly or people have trouble getting them to eat. However my sling is a veracious eater to say the least. He eats anything I throw in there and will eat everyday if I wanted to feed him that much. My question is I want him to grow as fast as possible but want him to be healthy so could I feed it everyday or every other day? I know it’s not necessarily good to do that but would it hurt him? I don’t feed if his abdomen is to big and have been feeding him every 2-3 days usually a mix of meal worms, darkling beetles and dubia roaches
And darkling beetles I heard can be mean for a lack of better word and lucky you I have to open my B splicers burrow throw food down and reclose the burrow!!! Even after a molt he still behaves the same way but now he has his cute urticating hair patchI have a P machala juvie and a Phormictopus sp sabana tiny sling they would eat everyday two at once if I let them but I don’t want them in premolt forever!! So I do like m0lsk does 2 maybe 3 times depending on size of feeders lol if it’s a juicy mealworm only once a week. Can’t wait to see pics of your baby!!

m0lsx

Staff member
1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Tarantula Club Member
And darkling beetles I heard can be mean for a lack of better word and lucky you I have to open my B splicers burrow throw food down and reclose the burrow!!! Even after a molt he still behaves the same way but now he has his cute urticating hair patchI have a P machala juvie and a Phormictopus sp sabana tiny sling they would eat everyday two at once if I let them but I don’t want them in premolt forever!! So I do like m0lsk does 2 maybe 3 times depending on size of feeders lol if it’s a juicy mealworm only once a week. Can’t wait to see pics of your baby!!

It is always best to behead beetles, ****roaches & mealworms etc as they do bury themselves. And darkling beetles give off a unpleasant gas as a defence, so beheading them has a number of advantages.

As you say darkling beetles are not great for any T, as they will bite. So always behead mealworms, as mealworms can burrow & then resurface as a darkling beetle. Beheading has the advantage for a sling of opening up the soft inner, to your sling. And ****roaches can survive many days with no head.

In the wild a small sling would probably live largely off dead prey. So I feed my slings pre killed, until they are slightly larger, this also makes removal of uneaten food much easier, unless the sling burys the mealworm, which some do. In that case I tend to leave them.

Try not to disturb burrowed slings. They burrow for a reason & they do come out if they want / need food. But always remove the uneaten food that you can after 24 hours. Live food tends to stress T's & dead food goes moldy very quickly.

We tend to put uneaten crickets into T's who we know are good eaters. So every T, but our very biggest, get one cricket per week & then the good eaters get offered uneaten crickets during the week. As we find & remove them. As it is not always easy to remove a cricket from some enclosures.

Latest posts