• Are you a Tarantula hobbyist? If so, we invite you to join our community! Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your pets and enclosures and chat with other Tarantula enthusiasts. Sign up today!

My Green Bottle blu not eating

SullivanC

There is a spot between her two spinnerets which I cant see from these pictures but if you look at there do you see any white stuff on it or is there nothing there? I hope she gets better :(

Reb67

I'm not seeing any white stuff, area looks dark

IMG_20221016_170941411~2.jpg
I know it's not very good, sorry ..her position & web not helping.
IMG_20221016_171109447.jpg

SullivanC

Its okay dont be sorry :) if you look at the area of her abdomen where she poops from but if you dont see dry poop there then she probably doesnt have impaction, I know this is very stressful its horrible when a tarantula stops eating, drinking

Reb67

Can anyone tell me the longest their T didn't eat ?
I know water is most important, & keep adding drops near her, (soak in, ) I m not sure which one of us more stressed her or me..

SullivanC

If a tarantula is fasting they can go abit over a year but you should always keep their water dish full at all times and every week try to feed them just in case if their fasting is done

Konstantin

3 Year Member
Can anyone tell me the longest their T didn't eat ?
I know water is most important, & keep adding drops near her, (soak in, ) I m not sure which one of us more stressed her or me..
My Aphonopelma calcodes didn't eat for over 2 years.
Your spider's abdomen is looking large enough atm so shec is not that skinny yet.
As suggested above keep trying with food every week.You can try different feeders too.Stick to prekilled to save yourself the hustle of rooting them out if she doesn't want them.
Regards Konstantin

Dwk

Disclaimer I'm not claiming everything said to but 100 percent true and I'm not claiming to be an expert. But from what I've experienced some T's go through almost a hibernation period where they will refuse food and sometimes water. For the most part regardless of geographic location food becomes more scarce in the winter months. They'll exhibit different behaviors, web less, and move less or slower, if seemingly at all. It usually starts around September- October and lasts till March- April. Certain species seem to be more prone to this behavior, again from my experience mostly fossorial and species recently introduced to the hobby. From the pictures it appears the moult was fine and everything seems to be right for the needs of your t in the enclosure. Your t is probably old enough to not worry about not taking food for 4-6 months full grown adults can go a year+ without food, depending on species.
As stated by other try feeding pre killed, as regular or bi weekly, later in the night. Or if you notice she's alittle more active than she has been. Make sure it's placed close to the entrance of her burrow as most if not all T's won't actively hunt prey. I would spay the web a little as it might be easier for her to drink droplets off the web. Although with gbbs not liking much humidity don't over do it just one quick spray by her favorite entrance to her burrow. You can try tong feeding to get her interested in the food if she doesn't normally get pre killed but be careful because they can hurt the fangs if they bite the tongs. As I said not saying I'm a professional or that everything is completely accurate just from my experiences, what has worked for me, as with anything on the internet it is highly advised to do your own research on the matter. I wish you and your tarantula the best of luck.

Reb67

She is next to water dish, no movement from her at all .. her legs are still out, no death curl , Husband thinks she is Dead, no reaction to pre killed food or paint brush near back legs, (was before) I plan to continue watching over her
Her hide is a skull , & behind her , & she hasn't used it for about 2 months. She doesn't use a tunnel in ground..
Thank you all for your help
I Greatly appreciate

x_raphael_xx

3 Year Member
She is next to water dish, no movement from her at all .. her legs are still out, no death curl , Husband thinks she is Dead, no reaction to pre killed food or paint brush near back legs, (was before) I plan to continue watching over her
Her hide is a skull , & behind her , & she hasn't used it for about 2 months. She doesn't use a tunnel in ground..
Thank you all for your help
I Greatly appreciate
If she died she will be in a death curl, spiders have to hold their legs open all the time. If they die the tension is not there so the legs curl, sort of like hydraulics.

Fingers crossed she is okay

Reb67

I don't have picture,of how she is at moment, I realize spiders go into odd positions, there is no curl, yet legs appear very relaxed, still no position change, I am trying to stay away from her to not stress her anymore than I already have,
Not pasty butt, nothing swollen from what I can see . Will check her tonight & post pic.
Thank you all very very much

x_raphael_xx

3 Year Member
Do you still have her molt?
Very occasionally they don't molt their sucking stomach, which they need to eat. Check this thread https://tarantulaforum.com/threads/sucking-stomach.25627/
She doesn't look underweight, so tbh I wouldn't bother her with food for a few days, and just concentrate on making sure she is drinking.
My gbb wouldn't go down to his water dish, I noticed he was in a bad way and made a big pool of water in his webbing right under him, once he started drinking he recovered very quickly and I keep a close eye on him now.

Reb67

IMG_20221019_153350800.jpg
. Here is How she looks now... I will check the link ... I placed drops next to her & under her. It soaks into the ground. I'm starting to believe my hubby on her... . I think she has passed.

x_raphael_xx

3 Year Member
View attachment 68693. Here is How she looks now... I will check the link ... I placed drops next to her & under her. It soaks into the ground. I'm starting to believe my hubby on her... . I think she has passed.
She doesn't look dead to me, there's no leg curling, and T's smell horrible when they have died.
As shes so close to the water dish, could you nudge her head in (she won't drown as they breathe from the book lungs in the abdomen)

SullivanC

Its possible that she just didnt have good molt and when this happens they will molt again sooner than expected just to recover from the bad molt but until that happens try your best to make sure she stays hydrated, lets hope she recovers soon

Reb67

Blu's tank is now starting to smell.. it's a musty damp earth mixed with something else smell, she is over her water dish,but looks almost like she is broken in half, no tension in her legs, her abdomen looks like it is pulled from carapace .somewhat bent ..

Konstantin

3 Year Member
Hi
Sometimes tarantulas do not die in death curl.
If she is truly dead her abdomen will sink in(shrivel) also you will smell quite and intence stench in 3-4 days.
Im sorry to hear things are not looking good.
Regards Konstantin

Reb67

Thank you all for your support, I Greatly appreciate it,
Blu & you all have taught me things about Trantula 's that I don't know, & in the future will be able to look for signs better. I do think I will get another one in future. or maybe more
. Thank you. ️