• Are you a Tarantula hobbyist? If so, we invite you to join our community! Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your pets and enclosures and chat with other Tarantula enthusiasts. Sign up today!

My Green Bottle blu not eating

Reb67

I hope your girl will be ok. Such beautiful creatures. I don’t really have anything to add - everyone covered it all…I would just stress the importance of making water available anyway you can without disturbing her. And dropping a little water on the web is great so she doesn’t have to go far to get it. If it will eat prekilled prey, it can get some fluids that way too. Cut the head off a big juicy super worm / mealworm and place it nearby - again without disturbing her. That’s just what I do. I have even had the spider gently move the prey away - all you can do is try. Good luck to you and your GBB.
Thank you.for the support. I m trying.. just doesn't seem to doing much good..

Reb67

Hi
flipping her over and putting water on her mouth parts is sth that you may have to do in near future but I personally will hold off atm as you said she is not currently curling up.Wait a day or two and if other things are not doing it and she is still unresponsive you can try that then.
Whatever you do do not take her out of the enclosure in so called ICU it will do more harm than good in regards of this species.
Regards Konstantin
Thank you for your help,& support, I appreciate it

SullivanC

Thank you for your support, the last pictures are earlier in her life, the pictures at beginning of post are what she is looking like now,
She appears to not have any strength, won't move, won't eat.. I really am afraid she isn't going to make it...
Do you know what is her age? it seems like she is either too old or sick

SullivanC

After checking the size of her with your hand on the picture she's not old because she is not even adult at that size since they get bigger than that so I am just thinking that she might be sick, is she eating food and drinking water? if she does two of these things then there is hope for her to survive

Reb67

After checking the size of her with your hand on the picture she's not old because she is not even adult at that size since they get bigger than that so I am just thinking that she might be sick, is she eating food and drinking water? if she does two of these things then there is hope for her to survive
I got her as a gift last Christmas, she was about 1. -1 1/2 inch sling (maybe 2 inch) so she would only be about a year old. ( Not much bigger than my thumb nail.. ).
No she is not eating, I don't think she is drinking, her behavior is way off prior to this last Molt..
I have drops of water next to her, she appears very weak now, pulls her legs over herself as if trying to hide..yet won't move when I open top of tank, she would b4 , either moving to get food, or going to water..
I'm trying not to stress her out by placing water drops near her, (water seeping through to ground)
I'm at a loss of what happened. ..

Konstantin

3 Year Member
Hi
don't beat yourself. Its a shame what is going on but it happens unfortunately. There are so much we don't(can't)know in regards of our pets.
Keep us posted.
Regards Konstantin

SullivanC

So she didnt eat anything at all ever since she molted? when you check her abdomen how does it look? also does she poop at all? I am asking these questions because it sounds like she has impaction

Reb67

So she didnt eat anything at all ever since she molted? when you check her abdomen how does it look? also does she poop at all? I am asking these questions because it sounds like she has impaction
I will double check when I get home, her spinnerets didn't look swollen the other day,
I put food down by her this Morning & she is close to the water dish now..

Reb67

IMG_20221013_154333118~2.jpg
. This is how she looked on Monday night, I haven't seen any new feces. I will definitely be looking again once home.. will try to get better picture later today

Konstantin

3 Year Member
Hi
its very unlikely to be impacted after moult.As for new poops she will probably eat before she poops first.Its good news that she is moving about even if she is not as active as she was before the moult.
Sometimes after moult the behaviour of the spider changes completely and most cases its not a concern.
Did you offer prekilled food item?
How long you left it in and did she take it?
Regards Konstantin

SullivanC

A spider can get impaction at any time since even healthy ones can get it but lets hope thats not the case. If she just molted that could be other reason she is acting strange but keep us updated. If her abdomen looks good then there is nothing to worry about, I would only start getting worried if its shrinking from not eating and drinking.

Reb67

Hi
its very unlikely to be impacted after moult.As for new poops she will probably eat before she poops first.Its good news that she is moving about even if she is not as active as she was before the moult.
Sometimes after moult the behaviour of the spider changes completely and most cases its not a concern.
Did you offer prekilled food item?
How long you left it in and did she take it?
Regards Konstantin
I left a pre killed meal worm this Morning, she didn't go after it yet that I know of..
will know more once home

Reb67

A spider can get impaction at any time since even healthy ones can get it but lets hope thats not the case. If she just molted that could be other reason she is acting strange but keep us updated. If her abdomen looks good then there is nothing to worry about, I would only start getting worried if its shrinking from not eating and drinking.
Ok, it's fairly small now, but will check her soon

SullivanC

Ok, it's fairly small now, but will check her soon
Lets hope she gets better soon and starts to eat and drink again. When was it that she molted do you know? I just hope that she recently molted and that is the reason why she doesnt eat because her fangs arent fully hardened yet, I am hoping thats the only reason why she wont eat

Reb67

Lets hope she gets better soon and starts to eat and drink again. When was it that she molted do you know? I just hope that she recently molted and that is the reason why she doesnt eat because her fangs arent fully hardened yet, I am hoping thats the only reason why she wont eat
Her last Molt was Sept 17, 2022.

Reb67

Sorry took so long, finally got home, Blu has not eaten anything,removing the pre killed worm... doesn't look like she has moved at all , here are couple pics of her spinnerets, sorry not very good, my phone camera good
IMG_20221016_171733130.jpg
IMG_20221016_171722482.jpg

Latest posts